Sunday, May 24, 2015

Lovin' My Lupine, etc.









It's a fairly leisurely Sunday morning on this holiday weekend after a Saturday filled with constant activity until I finally disrobed everything at 5 p.m, jumped in the tub, washed my hair and put on all clean clothes.

Normally, I wouldn't go into detail about my dress habits, but yesterday's strategy may have worked in curbing the misery I suffer from all the itching that comes with each lawn mowing.  

The first strategy was to pop a 24-hour Allegra and then mow like a crazy woman to get the entire yard done in one day (hence, a one-pill mowing).  I finished in about five hours and then performed the second part of my plan.

I'm happy to report that so far, there's a little itching but probably about 95 percent less than the usual, so maybe, after four years of trying to figure out this newly acquired seasonal problem, I've found the right combination.

Anyway, the yard looks great and I'm not scratching.  So, that's a good thing.

After I finished mowing, Lily was still eyeing me intently from the barnyard, begging to go to the pasture.   

Well, yesterday I tried a new strategy for allowing Lefty some relief from his itching.  He has his new blanket, but I've noticed that at night he still walks around the barnyard as if he's trying to get away from something. 

So, yesterday morning, I dug out and slid open the side doors to their stalls.  The horses loved coming in and out and especially loved their second helping of breakfast which happened to be in the stalls from a while back. 

I'm happy to say that last night Lefty seemed calmer after a hot day than I've observed in some time.  Getting inside away from the bugs seems to have done the trick. 

In the meantime, I had noticed that the grass in the dog run needed a little trimming. That was Lily's job.  She loved it and didn't mind one bit being enclosed in the run.   She may even get to go there again today.

As dry as it is, I figured they could lay off the pasture for a couple of days.  I think we're all starting to feel a little concern about the grass and hay situation this year if we don't get some rain.  

Ironically, I visited with my friend in Colorado, and she says its so wet and muddy there she can't even work her horses. Hard to believe. 

And, on the lupine front, mine are blooming at least a month earlier than normal.  I thought this year's crop would put on a good color show, but it's looking a little iffy at this point.  

Still those which have burst out are beautiful, and they certainly dress up our dry Love Canal.  

I caught a shot of the many swallows who have moved into Taylor's bird houses for the season.  The bird seemed to know that I wanted a nice picture, so it took its time in flying off while I clicked serveral times just a few feet away from its perch on the fence. 

And, Kauble's aspen were pretty in this morning's sunshine. 

I don't know what's on the schedule for today.  We're getting nibbles on our motor home, but still no offers to hand over any money.  The last note I received included a great question:   what's the next thing to fall apart on it?

I didn't make any predictions, but both Bill and I agreed that this party was definitely someone who's had experience with old motor homes-------but maybe not NEW old motor homes. 

Happy Sunday. 

No comments: