Saturday, May 23, 2015

Saturday Slight





Sometimes it's best to just hit the ground snoozing, especially on warm spring afternoons. These two were doing a good job of enjoying some leisure time when I passed by their pasture near the old Selle Grange.  

I took a cue from them yesterday after the HOT afternoon sun drove me out of the garden.  I had hoped to finish all my planting, but the heat showed no mercy so I decided enough, brewed up a cup of coffee and found a comfortable spot on the deck where intense morning sun gives way to comfortable afternoon shade. 


It felt good to kick back with my jeans rolled up and bare feet resting in the cushion of a another chair.  I even called my friend in Colorado to do a little catch-up on our respective lives.  She did not answer.  I learned later in an answering machine message that she was outside planting flowers in her garden spots when I had called. 


We'll probably talk today. 


Later, Bill came home and relaxed for a few minutes before heading to the new old motor home.  He was planning to take it to town for some propane.  Seems we had a refrigerator problem in the RV, and Bill was hoping he could get it going with propane. He hasn't yet given that a try, probably because neither he nor I want to discover that it's given up the ship.


Appliances do have a right to get tired after 39 years, but we're hoping the propane will give the refrigerator the boost it needs to run. 


I asked Bill if the dogs were going to town with him.


"No," he said.


"What if I go with you and bring the dogs?" I asked.


That seemed okay, so I ran inside, grabbed my phone and we loaded up.  Doggies were thrilled.  They love their rides in the motor home, and Foster especially loved discovering that if he stuck his head out the open window on the passenger side, a nice breeze would keep him cool.


My lap with that open window soon became his preferred spot.  I did grab his collar with my thumb as we approached a stoplight and pulled to a stop next to a rig with a big chocolate lab.  


As expected, Foster started letting the dog know who was boss. Fortunately, the light quickly turned green and big lab moved on his way down the highway. 

Soon we pulled into Lake RV just before closing time, and an employee came out to fill our propane tank.  


I soon heard Bill outside talking with someone and laughing.  Turns out he was visiting with a couple who know the new old motor home really well.  Last year Kari stayed in it for a week at horse camp, and her husband Clay spent considerable time with his friend Joe trying to figure out a wiring problem.  


Well, this year it finally got figured out to the tune of big $$$$$.  So, I'm sure they saw that motor home and had to come and see what was up.  We enjoyed a nice long visit with lots of chuckles and finally decided it was time to head our respective ways.


Once home, I brought the horses up from pasture and changed for another trip to town for dinner.  Everyone who usually goes to dinner with us has left town for the weekend.  Bill suggested MickDuffs.  

Downtown seemed to be filling up for the weekend when Bill had left from work earlier, but for our dinner trip, we were amazed at how quiet the place was.  No problem finding parking spaces.  

We saw few people strolling up and down the sidewalks, and when we arrived at MickDuff's, no waiting for a table.  We saw only a few familiar faces among the diners last night.  Seems the locals have headed for the hills or somewhere besides Sandpoint. 

After dinner, we took our time strolling through a relatively empty downtown. It was nice, and we're expecting a fairly quiet weekend ahead, which we welcome. This community has become such a center of hustle bustle that the leisurely atmosphere we saw last night provided a pleasant relief.  

Looks like another hot one again today, so I'll get out there early and finish that garden. Then, it's back to lawn mowing and itching.  This go-round I'm planning to try the 24-hour non drowsy Allegra.  Hope it works.

Happy Saturday. 

No comments: