Friday, May 01, 2015

Yay, May!





I love this month.  Used to hate it when I was a teacher because there was absolutely no time to smell the flowers.  Thirteen years out, I doubt that May being "total insanity" month for teachers has changed much.

Lots of good stuff going on with group picnics, field trips, awards programs, special concerts, education (oh yeah, teachers try to get some of that done in May but it's not easy to cram in with all the other "to do's").  

Retirement has allowed me a whole new outlook on the month of May.  Oh yes, there's still more than enough work to do and not enough hours in the day, especially around this place, but a good share of my work involves taking time to grow AND smell the flowers. 

So far, the flowers have come mainly on trees and bushes around the place, and those fruit blossoms have been gorgeous this year!

The plot of periwinkles just south of the house is blooming like mad right now, as are the little starts that I moved to other areas a few weeks ago.  Can't wait for those starts to spread and really light up the yard during future springs. 

This year, I'm mowing the south end of the place which borders the road.  

That's cuz hundreds and hundreds of those multi-colored lupine are rising from the grass and, with all luck, will put on a gorgeous show this year.  So, I'm keeping the grass down in that area for all to enjoy.  

I also love May because of the Derby, and, if all goes well, I'll be watching the stories associated with the horses and jockeys and THE RACE tomorrow afternoon.  

As always, I don't care who wins the Derby.  It's the next two legs of the Triple Crown that get my juices going----always looking forward to the year when another horse becomes a legend and goes into the history books with this elusive distinction. 

Speaking of horses and flowers, I rode my pretty Lily last night for the first time this year. Twas cool enough but nice enough to enjoy a short evening ride around the place.

Lily has very tender hooves, so our journey down the road was pretty short-lived, but she was as good as gold out on that south lupine lawn, all through the woods and around the hay field.  

I'm thinking maybe Lily could have turned into a true gem for this old lady from now on because she's reached the double digits this year. She was so good I promised her some time in the pasture today.  

Maybe Annie and I can saddle up both Lily and Lefty this weekend and enjoy a mother-daughter ride around the place.  Annie's due in from Seattle late this afternoon. 

On my way to pick her up at the airport, I'm gonna stop in Coeur d'Alene for coffee with my friend Florine and niece Laura.  

Since Florine once lived in the same house we in the outlaw crowd know as "the Thompson Cabin," it will be fun for Florine and Laura to meet. 

Great day and month ahead.  

The only down side of May is that I think of and miss my mother a lot during this part of spring----good ol' "Behave Yourself" from the 1921 Derby----so there's a certain amount of bittersweet that goes along with all the pretty flowers and springtime activities.

Good times. Treasured memories.

Happy May Day to all.  


No comments: