Thursday, June 04, 2015

Lily Throwbacks, Annie "Rome-ing"


 Lovestead Lily Throwback


Back in 2006, both Lily and I used to have a lot more color in our hair.

Lily's "Calendar Girl" pose, taken by Annie back in December, 2006, shortly after she moved to the Lovestead from Oklahoma as a "mail-order filly."

Yup, all I knew of Lily before her arrival was her fine pedigree, her looks from a small snapshot and her price, which was right at the time.  I ordered her, along with a blanket and halter and then luckily found some horse transporters to deliver her to my door.

Turns out it cost almost as much to get her here as I paid for her.

When she did arrive, my sisters and my mother came over to see what was in the package.  After all, it was close to Christmas season.  Once she was in her boxstall, Laurie unwrapped her, one blanket fastener at a time, finally removing her horse wrap.

I was pretty happy with what I saw, and I haven't had any regrets ever since.

Her registered name is Easy Dream Design, but I decided that her barn name would be "Lily," so named for my grandmother Lily Short Halter who died when my mother was just 3 years old. 

Lily in 2015.  

Yesterday after our ride, she was pretty fascinated with the window on our new travel trailer, even eventually walking up to it, peering at it and wondering who that other horse was looking back at her. 
Yesterday after John Fuller put shoes on the horses, I decided to saddle up Lily and go for a ride.  Catching a shot like this shows that a little time has passed since she first moved to the Lovestead----not only in hair color but also in demeanor.

Lily doesn't get too excited these days when she knows we're going for a ride----'cept when other unknown horses are involved.  I have come to accept that she's just not a groupy.  When ridden alone, she makes me feel at ease and very safe.

On our ride yesterday, we stopped briefly by Janice Johnson's house.  I told her to be sure to check out the blog, that she would probably like it.

Later, I received a note from Janice, indicating that she liked the pictures posted of her beautiful place.  Then, she said something to the effect of "Don't you think you live in Paradise?"

Well, after reading that note on my cell phone,  I rode on to Forest Siding Road, stopping for a quick visit at my friend and neighbor Roxane's where she has an adorable and beautiful new filly.

After visiting with her hubby and with Elisabeth, who takes care of our Lovestead when we're gone, I headed back home.

During a moment, while plodding down South Center Valley Road, I looked at the billowy clouds in the blue sky, noted that Lily was so relaxed with her head down and just moving forward, I thought, "Not quite Paradise but maybe more like Heaven."  

It was a truly enjoyable and satisfying moment, knowing that this mail-order filly turned mature mare, as she continues to grow up, has gradually become my dream horse. 


Rome Dispatch with Annie . . .


Annie is probably at Rome Airport as I type.  Soon she'll be leaving Rome, bound for Amsterdam where she, Naren and Smita will meet up with another Groundspeak, Inc. colleague Jon Stanley who has spent the past few days in Iceland (wearing his Priest Lake cap). 

Jon has Priest Lake roots, and because of the caches he's placed in the region, has earned legendary status among many other geocachers.  

Once they meet in Amsterdam, they'll head tomorrow for a geocaching event in Xanten, Germany.  More adventures, for sure.

Annie has truly loved her adventure in Italy and expressed sadness at having to leave.  Of course, if the photos are any indication, her lament is very understandable.  

What a journey it has been----so much fun getting a taste of it through her photos.  Enjoy and Happy Thursday!


Annie posted this photo earlier today on her drive back to Rome.

This is Ravello, a tourist spot on the Almafi Coast. 


I think this may be the hotel where Annie stayed in Sorrento. 






Last Supper in Sorrento.  Annie said it was called spaghetti, only with noodles. 

No comments: