Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday-Morning Breaking . . .







Monday morning has broken.  Sun is up, casting shadows.  

More 'maters are turning red. 

Smoke is in the air----some of the air, depending on which direction you're facing.  

Beautiful blue sky and clouds are in the air----again, depending on which way you face.  

Last pretty roses are giving way to snow berries but not a lot of snow berries. 

Life is good at the Lovestead this morning.  Gary Finney is honking while headed to town for his coffee klatch. 

It's the beginning of a week that will end with a reunion.  After a year's build-up on Facebook, the Sandpoint High Class of 1975 will be gathering for two nights in Sandpoint. 

As is customary, Terry Iverson and I will say a few words at one of the group gathering, this year, their Saturday night function.

We've paired up as  teacher guests at almost every reunion as former teachers.  Yesterday Terry and Edna stopped by the house to find out where we were supposed to show up, which I did not know at the time. 

Having not seen each other for some time, we enjoyed a nice visit, with Edna and me comparing our injured-wrist war stories while Bill and Terry talked fishing. 

When they left, I promised to find out the Saturday-night venue and let 'em know.  So, now we both know that we'll show up  and wow them at the Elks during their Saturday-night function. 

We've learned from past experience that it doesn't take much to wow a bunch of partying reunion attendees.  

Last week, I had a student from the Class of 1985 ask me if I was just ten years older than he.  I think he'd seen all the photos Chris Pietsch has posted with me as a part of the 1975 action.

No, I said, explaining to him that those students were in my classes before and just after Bill and I were married.  They were on yearbook staff and drill team.  

Several of us played softball together, and even a few accompanied me to Farragut several evenings for a couple of weeks during the summer of 1973 to visit with our new Boy Scout friends. 

Later, Chris Pietsch hung around with our family for a couple of days, taking the wedding picture of my Boy Scout friend and me.

To say we all share a little history is an understatement.  Terry was the government teacher who spurred on some heavy duty thinking about politics and public affairs. 

It should be fun once again, seeing all these wonderful graduates as they celebrate their 40th-year since high school. 

I had to tell my student who had asked that I would be celebrating my 50th-year reunion, so, sadly, I was not just ten years older than he. 

Speaking of which, we're adding to our numbers for the reunion.  I had a classmate write to me yesterday, stating that she'd like to come to the reunion but wasn't too keen on paying $209 a night for a motel. 

So, again, a former student came to the rescue.  Thanks to my friend Sheldon, we found her much more affordable accommodations. 

She said she'd bring her tent and sleep in a field if she had to----now, that's the spirit for a 68-year-old attending a reunion. Turns out she now has a queen bed, a kitchenette and a bath tub for the time she'll spend in Sandpoint.  

She told me later she'd bring along the bubble bath and bottle of wine.  Sounds like a good fit to me! 

We're getting down to the wire with our 50th, with less than a month for final planning, but the excitement of seeing all these classmates is making it all worth it. 

Definitely good times ahead, and looking like another pleasant day ahead, watching tomatoes turn red. 

Happy Monday. 



No comments: