Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Abundance in an Epic Summer















It's difficult and troubling to wrap one's arms around the extremes we're experiencing during this epic summer of 2015.  

I like the word "epic" because I can truly say I've never seen anything like it in my 68 years.  


There's abundance, for sure, but not always in ways that we would choose.  


Last evening, abundant smoke in the air wafting from scenes of total, heart-breaking destruction provided an artistic ingredient for some jaw-dropping, beautiful scenes.  


With nothing to shield that big, giant warm sun,  abundance has reigned in the gardens and on the fruit trees. 


Yet, hay crops and pastures have been abundantly lacking, causing farmers to dip in to dismally short food supplies to keep their animals fed. 


An easy winter last year has brought on true abundance of wildlife in the neighborhood. 


The deer seem a lot like grasshoppers these days, hopping and popping up in virtually every nook, cranny, and, yes, garden.  


Have I mentioned that before?


I bet I haven't mentioned that in mid-August,  garden fences no longer serve as a barrier between the abundant deer and the tasty abundance inside the fence. 


It's definitely been a summer like no other. Mother Nature has fed us abundantly with the good, the bad, the ugly and the beautiful this summer. 


Yup, "epic" is a good word to describe the abundance. And, it's not all good. 



2 comments:

Helen said...

Jaw dropping photos for sure! Thank you for sharing!!

Helen said...

I might endorse your statement - nor have I in 68 years!