Monday, February 27, 2017

Oopsies and Such




from Twitter:   42 minutes ago


When the journey is uncertain and you fall, God, rich in mercy, will extend his hand to pick you up.

~~~~ Saw the message above from the Pope while reading Twitter this morning and thought of the ZAGS.  My sister saw an interview with Mark Few and Jordan Mathews yesterday and said they're doing fine after the big loss Saturday night.  


So, I guess the rest of us fans, who felt their pain, can feel a lot better, knowing that. 


We've all had our falls during this journey through life, and, in retrospect, it seems that someone has been there pretty much every time to help us get back on our feet. 


I'm wondering this morning about the folks at Price-Waterhouse who prepare the "envelopes, please" for the Oscars.  


I'm sure whoever made the mistake last night could use a pick-me-up this morning. 


Oddly enough, after tuning in to the show yesterday, even before the show began to watch red carpet interviews, I missed the grand finale blooper. 


Bill told me about the SNAFU this morning because I fell asleep toward the end, assuming and then thinking that if La La Land was going to win Best Picture,  I didn't really care. 


So, it did.  


Then, it didn't.  

Ouch!

I know the feeling on a much smaller scale having announced horse shows over the years. It's pretty embarrassing when all the placings have been announced and ribbons handed out and the judge comes over to the stand, saying, "That's not the way I placed it." 


Oops. 


Innocent mistakes do happen, but when they're epic events in the recipients' or nonrecipients' minds, that's not a good thing.

I can only imagine those La La Land cast members who get to remember the rest of their lives how it felt to hold an Oscar for "one brief, shining moment," only to hand it back. 

Loved the several hours of Oscars that I did watch.  I thought Jimmy Kimmel was one of the best emcees in recent years, and I'm sure he had to have come up with one of the show's highlights where a trolley of unsuspecting tourists, thinking they were seeing the Hollywood sights where the next stop would be viewing an assortment of past Oscar gowns, were led right into the ceremony.  

Unlike the Best Picture announcement, the logistics of this scheme worked perfectly, and the tourists immediately fell into their roles with cell phones clicking and even a brief wedding ceremony for a Chicago couple (who were a hoot) with Denzel Washington presiding. 

Sorry I missed the finale, but I'm sure it has already gone viral, and I have watched one version already this morning. 





Speaking of glitches and how little mistakes can lead to monumental consequences, I have one to share this morning.

While working on a writing assignment yesterday, I took a break to check my Facebook updates.  

One FB announcement told me that I had 11 message requests.  Since I'd never received such a message before, I clicked and found an assortment of private messages, sent as far back as last summer.

These are, I'm guessing, messages sent by folks who are not official Facebook friends. I check that folder occasionally, maybe once or twice a year but usually find a lot of spam.

Apparently, the Facebook gods thought it was long past my time for checking so they nudged me with the message.

Sure enough, I saw the messages for the first time.  One had invited Bill and me to a geocaching picnic, while another had requested zucchini.  I soon figured that many of these messages were in response to some of my blog posts. 

One message, in particular, stood out because of its content. 

So, here's the glitch part.  Misspelling of names, even just one letter off, can set up roadblocks which can completely stop progress when one is searching for information. 

This situation involved a misspelling that could have dated as far back as the 1920s or maybe a few years later in the record keeping. 

I'm not sure where or how the mistake happened, but I do know that it very possibly set my mother back in her ongoing search to find her mother's grave. 

The place:  Cataldo Mission Park Cemeterry.

The mistake:  Someone listed Lillian Halter as Lillian Haller as one of 300 people who had been buried back in the Twentieth Century on the mission grounds. 

My mother always thought her mother was buried there but couldn't find anything to verify the fact.  Over the years, her search took her to other cemeteries in the area around Wallace where the family lived briefly during the early 1920s. 

Yesterday's message from Susan Davis Howard told me that she had apparently read one of my blog postings about Mother's search, done a little search of her own and had found some information on Ancestry.com.

She sent me a link to a document compiled by someone who had visited the cemetery, taken a few photos and listed the people buried there.  Unfortunately, like so many of cemeteries way back when, not all graves were clearly marked and flooding in that area caused more problems. 

Nonetheless, when I looked at the document and saw Lillian Haller listed and her death date as Sept. 10, 1924, I knew that was our grandmother.  Years ago, we received a letter from our Chicago relatives, which Lily (Lillian) had written to her family back home on Thanksgiving Day, 1924, just two weeks before she died.  

So, happily most of the pieces of the puzzle, except for the exact grave site, have come together.  Ironically, our mother did a painting several years ago of Cataldo Mission, and, happily, today that painting has a lot more meaning.  

Our grandmother is buried there, and her great-granddaughter Laura works for the Coeur d'Alene Tribe, which holds its Cataldo pilgrimage and Feast of the Assumption at the mission each August.  

Maybe this year our family will have to partake and take those flowers which our mother so wanted to lay on her mother's grave.  I'm sure we'll find an appropriate spot.

Thank you so much, Susan Davis Howard, for adding this wonderful piece of information to our family's history.  

Finally, this morning, Annie is one day away from returning home from Brazil.  Hope she doesn't get hassled at Customs like my brother ( a really bad 'dude') and sister-in-law did this past week while coming home from Mexico.   

America is so much safer when the new border crossing rules are making it ridiculously difficult for West Point grads, who've earned the Bronze Star and their wives to come back home to our country from their 50th anniversary trip south of the border.  

Yup, it's feeling so much safer!

Happy Monday. 



Annie posted this photo from Brazil this morning.  Nice to get a taste of cuisine around the world.  She calls it a "fresh" chicken sandwich. 



No comments: