Saturday, March 18, 2017

Saturday Slightly Crazy





It's been a good year for the potted veggie and flower starts, so much so that I'm having to transplant lettuce into larger containers.  

Some years, at this time, I could transplant some cold-weather items outside and have them survive.  Maybe April this year.  

For now, there's substantial progress inside, while that which we fervently  desire outside, like bare ground, is taking its own sweet time. 

But each day we've seen a little progress, so I shall not complain.

Even the robins are clinging to the hope that those little patches of green will grow and that the ground will thaw and that a winter's worth of worms will come to the surface.

I heard my first robin while doing chores before daylight on Thursday.  It singing in the trees on the border between our place and Meserve's. 

I saw my first robin yesterday while taking a walk up the road.  It was perched on a fence post between Johnson's and Meserve's.  

Also, other sightings of the usual March nature have begun to appear:  as the snow slowly melts, opening up those patches of lawn, I'm amazed at how often the dogs left their No. 2 deposits right around the house.  This is surprising because they usually use their playground in the field out west of the barn.  

Anywho, hopes are that most of those logs will deteriorate on their own with all the rain.  
As far as this rainy Saturday is concerned, I'm gonna be doing some precision juggling this afternoon.  It's gotta be very precise for all to work out.  

About two weeks ago, I learned that the first Gold n' Grouse 4-H meeting, where members are to bring their horses to an arena just up the road, was scheduled for Saturday, March 18.  

Since our Lefty is going to be a project this year for one of our neighbors, Terra, he'll be attending this afternoon's meeting. 

All was fine with that plan until I learned Thursday night that the ZAGS play at 2:15 p.m. today, smack dab in the middle of the 4-H meeting, which starts at 1 p.m.

No, we do not have a recorder to record the game, plus I prefer IN THE MOMENT when watching the ZAGS. 

Aware of this dilemma, I thought for a while and then came up with a plan, which later was approved by one of the 4-H leaders. 

Terra will come at noon.  We'll work with Lefty here in the barn until about 12:30.  Then, we'll walk him up the road to the indoor arena where the 4-H meeting will be held.  

I walked the route yesterday and timed it.  Give or take a minute or two, I estimated a need for 20 minutes, going and "hurrying" home. 

Turns out in my discussion with Stacy, the 4-H leader, they're walking some horses from their place, and, for them, it will take about an hour. 

With full understanding of my ZAGS addiction, especially when I said that missing a March Madness game would be like missing a wedding, she said Terra and Lefty could be first on the roster for a run-through of the safety rules being taught today. 

So, at precisely, 1:50, we'll be headed back to the Lovestead, and with luck, Lefty will walk through the barnyard gate at 2-2:10 p.m., Terra's dad will pick her up and I'll be in the living room by 2:15 ready to cheer on the ZAGS.  

All parties concerned, including Terra, have been very understanding. I appreciate that immensely. 

The game should offer the perfect blend for viewers.  Old Cinderella team aka Gonzaga will tip off against New Cinderella Team aka Northwestern.  

Adding some frosting to the cake: the mother of a Northwestern forward Charlie Hall is none other than Julia Lewis-Dreyfus of "Seinfeld" fame.  

And, if my math is right, a win today would notch No. 500 for Mark Few as a head coach. 

I've read that the ZAGS are actually considered the villains today.  That's okay.  This is one time I'll take a villainous win.

March Madness if alive and well here at the Lovestead.  I'm thinking today's scheme to make it to the 4-H meeting and then race home with Lefty for the game pretty much illustrates a classic symptom of this annual disease. 

My dad used to say, "You don't have to be nuts to be a horseman, but it sure helps."  In this case, the same goes with being an unapologetic, full-fledged ZAGS fan. 

GO, ZAGS!  Happy Saturday to all. 








1 comment:

Anonymous said...


the geese are back in the pole nest here at wrenco,now that the snow has been rained off it,
rose marie