Thursday, August 24, 2017

Thursday This and That, TBT





It's the cosmos time of year.  I always associated these beautiful flowers with the beginning of school.  That's because quite often the first day of each school year, a vase of freshly picked cosmos would suddenly appear on my desk.

After a while, I always knew who put it there. Jayne Davis was a student in sophomore honors English my first year of teaching.  Later, we were teaching colleagues and "commiserators." 

The latter came when we both taught in the portables behind Sandpoint Middle School. At mid-year in the 1997-98 school year, Jayne and I replaced two teachers who had had enough. 

Oddly enough, I had had enough just a semester before and said I was quitting the teaching profession and never coming back.

Well, I have to thank A.C. Woolnough, whose photo and story is on the front page of the Daily Bee this morning (he's doing a 58-mile hike from peak to peak over in Western Washington) in support of Parkinson's Research).  

The year I decided to quit forever, A.C. talked me into applying for a leave of absence and a few months later talked me into coming back to Sandpoint High School.

At the time, Jayne taught math classes at one end of the portable classroom unit, while I taught English at the other. 

To say it was a difficult semester of re-entry would be putting it mildly.  Jayne and I often had long talks about how we were gonna get through this challenge.  Well, we did, and, for me, that turned out to be a semester where I learned more about teaching than at any other time in my career. 

I also have fond memories of the students, even though they knew how to disorder my mind and my moods.  Jayne and I continued on, as did the tradition of her bringing cosmos to my classroom. 

Now, we're both retired, but I can never look into the face of a lovely cosmos without seeing thoughtful Jayne. 

This summer season has also been a get-acquainted type experience in my yard.  First, the morning glories.  I planted them last year but didn't think about how they spread, so this year, I had enough sense to plant them near my garden fence.  

I'm just loving every morning when their proud and pretty faces pop out.  Next year, I'll purchase more morning glory seeds and plant the whole length of the fence.

This summer, and especially the past couple of weeks, I've gotten better acquainted with juncos---oops red-breasted nuthatches. Have always seen them but never paid much attention until this year for whatever reason.  (Note:  Thanks, Patty, for correcting me).

Could be that I've gotten better acquainted because they birds aren't all that shy.  They've been hanging around the bird feeders of late, and they don't seem to mind me hanging there with them.  

In fact, some have even brushed against my arm from time to time as they fly past to grab another sunflower seed.

These upclose and personal experiences have certainly created a new appreciation for these cute little visitors. 














Annie Adventures . . . . 


Yup, Annie's off on another adventure today, and during her travels, she's planning to do what you see in the photo below. 

She takes off this afternoon for Munich, via Iceland, and by the time we awaken tomorrow, she'll be driving to Switzerland for a weekend geocaching event.

After the weekend, there will be a reunion of sorts when she meets up with Swiss Miss aka Laura at Interlaken.  I think they plan to do some hiking and sight seeing over the next few days.  Plus, I think Annie may meet at least one of Laura's parents for the first time. 

The rest of her itinerary includes a visit to Poland, the Czech Republic and Germany where she'll tie in with one of Camino friend Eva.  Toward the end of the trip, she'll cross over into Austria to find a geocache on the rock mountainside.  

Annie assured me that the experience will be safe because of all the extra precautions. So, we'll keep our fingers crossed. 


Good luck, Annie, and please be safe. 





Throwbacks and Birthdays






I noticed on Facebook today that this lady celebrates her 75th birthday today or yesterday.  I think it's over in New Zealand where she lives with her husband Peter and raises Appaloosa horses. 

Her name is Rae Mutch.  She lives outside Hamilton where Annie did her semester abroad in 2003.  During that time, Annie and I both stayed at Rae's ranch, which is known as a Farm Stay. 

I had written a story about her for the Appaloosa Journal.  Many of her horses at the time were of the Toby I bloodline, which was meaningful to us, since our dad owned Toby I. 

One morning when we arose from bed, we learned that a new baby had been born.  So, we joined Rae and Peter as they taught the newborn how to find its breakfast. 

Many years and miles later, I shout out a Happy 75th to Rae. 








And, it's birthday time for one of the folks in this photo.  I labeled him there on the right. That's Travis Wilund whose dad was our school principal back in the 1980s.  
Travis is now married and has a son of his own, as does his brother Josh just to his left.

Other's include the Knowles siblings, Kelli and Ryan, Miss Annie Love, Joel Martin and Willie.  

Great memories of some kids who, as adults, have done all right for themselves. 

Happy Birthday, Travis and Happy Thursday to all. 






No comments: