Friday, December 15, 2017

Festive and Fun Trip to Downtown





Having to do a couple errands in town yesterday, I decided to tack on some time for a trip all the way downtown to take in some sights and sounds of Christmas. 

First thing, I'll say about the experience:  downtown could use some snow to brighten up and to cover up. 

The expected festive holiday atmosphere of the walk from a parking space on Cedar to the Cedar Street Bridge Market just isn't

Some store windows and displays have been decorated, but seeing leftover dead leaves and flowers in planters, I thought the outside surroundings in that shopping area could use a little sprucing up or at least a blanket of fluffy white snow. 

Just sayin'. 

Once inside, the Cedar Street Bridge, however, I escaped.

My journey took me straight into magical and nostalgic times from good ol' days, especially when I visited the Little Christmas Store just inside the Bridge Market.  

Toy soldiers, various species of Santa, including one who wishes us Merry Moosemas, and a vast array of delicate, colorful ornaments, reminding me of those in my mother's collection----this store is alive with Christmas, especially wonderful reminders of what we oldsters associate with our Christmas pasts. 

This place offers a nice beginning to a lovely stroll through the Bridge, which is alive with oodles of Christmas offerings----especially a lovely and large array of locally crafted gifts. 

I hadn't planned to stay long at the Bridge, which includes the same route my mother took from the train station on Christmas night 1945 when she, my brother and her English Setter first arrived at a rather dismal, rough-and-tough post war Sandpoint.

Knowing that historical significance for our family makes any visit to the Bridge special.  

On that wet, wintry night when Mother crossed from east to west on the uncovered, old Cedar Street Bridge, she did not have the pleasure of enjoying all the glorious beauty which I observed yesterday. 

So, I did stay a little longer, just to appreciate it all and to take time studying gift offerings up close and personal. 

Imagine my surprise about halfway through my nostalgic adventure when I saw a familiar face and then another and another.  

Imagine my joy when a couple of those friendly, familiar faces stopped what they were doing, said hello and ran over to give me warm hugs. 

At that moment, I escaped even further from the Cedar Street Bridge Market to "pure Heaven." 

Students and teachers from the Selle Valley Carden School, just down Selle Road from our Lovestead, had gone to town too. 

They were engaged in their own creative getaway:  constructing gingerbread, et. al. Christmas scenes. 

SVCS founder Stacy Rief told me that several groups of students from the school had come on different days to Creations (a popular craft store on the Bridge) to enjoy some Christmas creative magic. 

Stacy's nephew Levi also told me that they really look forward to this opportunity every year and that they hold fundraisers through their school to make it happen.  

Once gingerbread scenes---one of which included a manger with corn chex for hay---were completed, students and teachers carefully carried them to a display area where each finished product was highlighted and its creator identified. 

Any encounter I've ever had with students from Selle Valley Carden School has been like Christmas---a true gift and a wonderful window into the joy of children learning, creative and loving the world around them. 

After saying good bye to my young friends, I spent a little more time, strolling and observing and also happily marveling at the little vignettes which happen along our way, providing us living and loving reminders of the spirit of Christmas. 

And, for the skeptics----these moments do happen all year.  We just have to open our eyes and embrace them. 

Happy Friday. Enjoy the photos.

Thanks, once again, Selle Valley Carden School students. I'm sure you all have your moments, but, in my mind, you are also truly God's angels.



























No comments: