Monday, January 08, 2018

A Consequential Day without My Consent




It seems that I’m having a difficult time getting off the ground this morning AND that is only figuratively speaking.  I have managed to stay upright except for when I have consented to sit down---in the bathroom and here at the computer.

Otherwise, my body, ‘cept for its sore muscles from snowshoe overkill, has been consenting with all my wishes, walking to the barn, taking the horses to the pasture and even cleaning the barns.

I did not have to walk to the paper box this morning because it’s Monday and you may remember that we no longer receive hard copies of either paper on Monday mornings.

So, as far as morning travels are concerned, I’ve done okay with little or no bad consequences.

In the technical world, however, it’s been a far different story.  My Mr. Coffee make refused to consent to my wishes of brewing up a pot of morning java. Fortunately, the Keurig came through.

I’m now wondering if Mr. Coffee got mad after listening to all that “women strong” stuff on the Golden Globes last night.

I prefer Folgers for my morning brew and Keurig in the afternoons.

In spite of my disappointment, I took the consequences, brewed up a single cup of Keurig caffeine jumpstart, came upstairs and sat down at the computer.

Twasn’t long before I discovered technical difficulties were also brewing all over the World Wide Web.  I could access my email.  The Monday Spokesman was there.  My blog was working as were the news headlines Twitter and Facebook.

Other blogs, however?  I couldn’t go there.
 
After sitting for several seconds at two or three sites, I would learn that “we are having problems with that site.”  Other blogs worked.

Twas soon that nothing was really making any sense.  Nonetheless, I spent my hour with my coffee of nonconsent, surfing through what I could, taking time to read what I could.

Later, I decided to find a photo to lead off this morning’s blog post.  All went well until I tried to post it to the dashboard.  

Blogger refused.
 
I tried a different method of cut and paste.  Still, Blogger refused.

Finally, I decided this too shall pass and headed downstairs to get dressed for chores.  I mentioned my problems to Bill, and he said he had had problems accessing some of his favorite blogs also.

I figured that by the time I came back into the house to start the blog, all would be fine.

Well, it’s gone from fairly bad to worse.  As I type, we have no Internet.  I’ve cleaned off my dish, have shut down and unplugged my computer, only to have four blue lights, indicating things are working, flashing but no Internet.

Strange morning, it seems.  Don’t know how long this is going to last.  I have sent a message to the outside world through my cell phone to see if we’re the only people in the world cut off from the Internet.

I guess this is a perfect example of “the best laid plans of mice and men” don’t always work out.  Beyond my consent, and definitely consequential.

So, if and when you ever see this blog post, you’ll know why my friend Helen saw no blog posting and may have considered calling me at 8:01 this morning to ask, “Is everything okay out there?”

Gremlins are playing dirty tricks in the techno world this morning.

Now back to my Keurig latte!

Happy Monday.

Postscript:  Internet returned about 8:45, Helen did not call, and Blogger still refuses to post my photo.

Oh, well!  The sun is making an appearance, so it's not all bad. 







No comments: