Monday, January 22, 2018

Beginnings . . .









  
  
I guess we can safely say that the game plan for 2018 is beginning to unfold.  

Seems like it takes a while for this to be clearly apparent after the calendar turns over to a new year, but I've been seeing tangible signs that the mileposts are being established and that the door has opened to reach those general goals for the year.


It's always nice to have a plan, even when you're in your 70s. In fact, at this age, having those plans is probably even more urgent, albeit loosely established. 


The whole idea of retirement is having the opportunity to choose one's own course, but as we get older, we realize that our windows of opportunity are not quite slamming shut but definitely sliding toward that point.


Thus, we must make good use of every day. 


Yesterday turned out to be one of those "tangible" milestone days.  I picked up my neighbor Terra and we went to my sisters' farm to visit with CB. 


Last year, Terra took our Lefty horse as her 4-H project.  She and Lefty established a fine relationship which led to great progress and satisfying successes at the 4-H horse show----two top blue ribbons in the two classes they entered. 

In addition, Terra's horsemanship skills grew to a point where she had both confidence and the know how to work with Lefty both from the ground and aboard a saddle.  I can still remember vividly the moments of leaning against a tree out in the woods happily observing as Terra and Lefty plodded along the network of trails with ease.  

So this year of horsing around has begun for Terra, and as one of the many adults who serves as her guide, I couldn't be more excited to see what she can accomplish this year. 

A portion of her horse activities may involve CB, so I thought it would be neat for her to go over and get acquainted.  Could be, if all goes right, Terra may show the little guy in some halter classes.  Time will tell. 

For now, she has spent some time with him, leading and light grooming.  CB seemed to like Terra, so that's a good beginning.

Later, as we were driving home, I asked Terra what she would be taking in 4-H.  She listed some projects and then quietly said, "Maybe horse."  

"Oh, you don't know if you're taking horse?" I asked. 

She smiled. Terra is pretty quiet, to say the least.

"Does that mean you have to ask to see if you have a horse to take?" I asked.

She nodded.

"Well, I guess you need to ask," I said with a smile. 

"May I take Lefty again this year?" she asked.

Well, I'm sure all readers know the answer.  Of course, she'll take Lefty again.  We (mostly I) talked about how this year would be so much easier for both of us because of the basic skills she learned last year.

"I'd like you to take him on the 4-H trail ride this year," I said. "You're ready for that . . . only if you want to, that is." 

Of course, Terra said "Yes." 

Terra's facial expressions often speak louder than her own words at this point in her life, and I always enjoy what I see. 

So, that's one project officially off the ground for this year.  I do believe that both Terra and I are excited to have made the launch yesterday.

I also have another tangible for one of my usual projects of each year.  Iceberg lettuce, planted last week,  has risen from its potting soil.  

It'll be a while before we're gobbling it down, but it could be next month sometime, if all goes well.   

Most likely today some 'mater seeds will go into their potting soil, so Gardening 2018 is literally and figuratively off the ground.  The ground isn't quite ready, so those early efforts will have to stay off the ground and in planters. 

I've also embarked on another tangible which involves intangibles----well, I'm thinking it's intangible if you're not eating quite as much as you were a week or so ago, right?

The goal is a real tangible----zipping those jeans without holding my breath or overworking my fingers.  I'm not quite to the stage of lying on a bed, taking a deep breath, saying a prayer and then tugging with all my might.

Still, old fingers don't want to work too hard on zipping.  So, instead of all those delicious sweet potato fries, salads will get the nod.  Also, only half a chunk of cheese for lunch and maybe only 10 M and M peanuts with my afternoon coffee.

I don't want to get too dramatic about dieting, but I'm figuring those subtle changes won't be too tough on me and will start making a tangible difference in the pants department. 

Other plans are yet to unfold as tangibles, but on this Jan. 22, those seem like a pretty good start. 

It's a good feeling, and it's always fun to plot the progress.  Speaking of which----is the government back to work yet?  Maybe they could use a plan!

Happy Monday. 


1 comment:

Ann said...

Love your thoughts on the day and the year to come! Gotta appreciate it when you are SEVENTY!