Sunday, January 21, 2018

A Meaningful Day









We all have days in our lives where significant, life-altering events unfold before our eyes. 

Later, when reflecting upon what just happened, we often come away with different perspectives and a sense that our lives will never be quite the same. 


In some cases those moments can be bitter, stunned or sad; in others, totally inspired.


I know I have experienced a few of those moments during my 70 years on this earth. Whether good or bad, the general details of the day always remain vivid.


Yesterday was such a day. 


The uplifting sights, sounds and words I experienced while attending two events in my hometown----if not life altering, came mighty close. 


I witnessed new, vibrant, young leaders share their personal, compelling stories of determination, courage, vision, commitment and action. 


I came away inspired. 


As a local recorder of history, I also believe that yesterday's  events could reflect a new and exciting chapter in the workings of our local democracy. 


These events included a "Meet and Greet" gathering at Trinity Restaurant for Rep. Paulette Jordan of Plummer (www.jordanforgovernor.com) who is running for governor of Idaho.   


The second event, a program preceding the Women's March, filled the middle school gymnasium floor and pretty much all the bleacher space with men, women and children representing all walks of life. 


For me, the assortment included longtime friends, former students, professional colleagues, community leaders, dissenters (at the middle school) and a host of new and interesting people I'd never met before.  


Lots of hugs and lots of new life stories to savor. 


At the women's pre-march program, I'd say women did outnumber men but not by much.


When it was time for the visiting to end and the speeches to begin in both settings, it would be safe to say that when speakers spoke, people listened, and occasionally enthusiastic cheers or applause erupted.


I'd say that the words uttered by speakers at both events, the obvious enthusiasm from start to finish in each setting and the opportunity for me, the people lover, to meet all those new friends made it an uplifting "WOW" day like I have not experienced in some time.


People are coming together for some good causes and in support of some potentially strong new leaders, and they're coming together in droves.  


And, that is a very good thing.  


Congratulations to those who impeccably organized both events yesterday.  Also, congratulations and good luck to those young starts who shared the spotlight. 

Like me, a lot of members from the "golden set" saw a glimpse into the future for Idaho yesterday, and that is comforting. 






































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Marianne!

Let's do it again next year,
Nancy Gerth