Sunday, January 14, 2018

Chilling, Helpless






Text received from our daughter Annie aka Mia Wallace on Facebook from the Hawaiian island of  Kauai yesterday morning.


                                                                       I love you.




In Idaho, our phone rang just a few minutes after we had been texting family banter back and forth to Annie.  Bill wanted her to know that he had finally gotten the 4-wheeler to start.  

The UTV had been left outside during the cold, cold weather, and with yesterday's temps above freezing, he was able to start it.

"Tell Annie the 4-wheeler starts and maybe she'd rather be here," he said, as I filled a bucket of water for Lily's stall.

A minute or two later, he started down the lane toward the house, and I was able to catch of photo of him driving and three dogs bounding around the vehicle with their usual barking and excitement. 

So, I sent the photo and Bill's message across the sea to Kauai. 

Twas obvious from her brief comment that she was thinking "thanks but no thanks."

Minutes later, both of us returned to the house and soon after that, the phone rang.  I could see that it was Annie.

It seemed strange that she would call us over our exchange of fun family banter. 

"There's a ballistic missile warning," she said. 

At first, those words seemed so outlandish that I thought I heard her wrong. 

In the next exchange, I detected immediately that Annie was genuinely rattled.  

"I sent you a text message," she said. 

Still in disbelief but sensing her uneasiness, I asked her some dumb questions.  Don't ask me what they were.  In situations like that, the brain is going through a major disruption. 

Annie's text had not yet shown up on my phone.  During that realization, I put the phone on "speaker" so Bill could hear. 

Then, an instant later the text (as seen above) appeared on my cell phone. 

To say I lost my cool would be an understatement; to say I had any wisdom to offer would be a stretch at best. 

What I remember most about those few minutes was the "I love you," sent to Dad, Mom, Willie and Debbie and the "I don't know what to do or where to go." 

At one point, anger set in. Why do we live in a world where two crazy, arrogant, inhumane bullies are allowed to stoke such an atmosphere of fear?

That observation, however, would do no good at this moment when our daughter, thousands of miles away, was living the very thought of living her last few minutes on earth. 

Annie was not alone.  There were others in the streets at the hotel who had received the same text message, who were also living in fear, desperation and total confusion. 

Gathering my thoughts through the tears, I asked Annie if she had gone to the hotel desk and asked.  Yes, she had.  They did not know what to do. 

Then, Annie asked me to turn on the news to see if we could learn anything.  I did so.  There was nothing. 

We agreed that I would keep watching and get back to her as soon as I heard anything. I turned channels, and, of course, the topic on each channel dealt with none other than the latest idiotic and insensitive behavior of our President. 

By this time, I said to Bill that maybe this was a hacker and maybe this was not really true. 

Then I googled "ballistic missile Hawaii," and when sites opened up, the first item stated, "I have called Civil Defense, and this is a mistake." 

With a sense of relief, I called Annie, who was just hearing the same news.

The aftermath of this incident for us personally was total relief coupled with the stark realization that we had just spent a brief period faced with the worst possible news we could have ever imagined in our lifetimes. 

And, yes, tears.  Realization of that worst possible outcome  will do that to anyone, I believe. 

In my mind, the person who made the mistake needs a reprimand and whoever is responsible for the alarm system which allows such a mistake to happen so easily needs to revamp the system immediately so that such a mistake cannot happen.

Considering how long all those people on the island lived in real fear, it seems urgent that the efficiency of systems designed to alert the public that the warning was in error need some serious review. 

The system definitely needs immediate improvement. 

Also, information regarding basic emergency strategies should be provided upon arrival or easily accessed in places like Hawaii where thousands of tourists are coming and going every day. 

All that said, I believe that the people who, on a daily basis who irresponsibily create an atmosphere of fear through their bombastic, immature and thoughtless rhetoric should take personal responsibility for level of desperation and emotional distress this caused not only among residents and visitors to the Hawaiian Islands but also with every loved one around the world who helplessly lived the horror from afar. 

This morning, I am featuring a Facebook reflection from Annie and responses to her thoughts.     



This morning as I was packing my things up for a day of hiking, snorkeling and exploring the beautiful island of Kauai I was interrupted by a warning message on my phone I never thought I’d get in my life. “Extreme alert: BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

I remember hearing about nuclear arms races and the Cold War as a kid...it didn’t feel like something that would ever affect me even though I knew there was tension. Perhaps I was too young to be scared. But lately I’ve been scared. There are madmen in power of powerful countries that would rather boast about their “buttons” than try for a little diplomacy.



Today I was faced with the realization that I may only have about 15-30 minutes to live. I didn’t know what to do. I yelled down to other people scrambling in the parking lot of the motel I’m staying in to ask if they knew where we should take shelter. They didn’t know and they had the same worried look I did. One man tried to call 911 only to get a busy signal. An entire state didn’t seem to know what to do.

I called my mom because I didn’t know what else to do. The mainland US had heard nothing at that point. “Mom, there’s a ballistic missile threat on Hawaii right now and I don’t know what to do.” She could hear the shakiness in my voice. She asked if I had asked others at the hotel about what to do. As I told her, everyone else had blank faces when I talked to them and didn’t know what to do or where there was any kind of bomb shelter on the island.


After talking to my mom, I wondered if I should just stay in the concrete motel or drive to the nearest beach to be at a place that made me happy if this was my last few minutes on Earth. Those that know me, would know that ‘Adventure Girl Annie’
would want to be on the beach.


We shouldn’t live in a world where one has to worry about nuclear weapons. And we shouldn’t live in a country that has a president joking about the size of his nuclear button. These are real lives at stake...and today, for 25+ minutes, I thought it was mine.
Show more reactions
Comments
Petra Grewe I really hope that none of us have to worry about such a message. I mean I hope we will never get it. But it is sad that we actually have to deal with it because there are people who use it lightly to demonstrate their own power. I hope that this case will never really happen and I hope that none of us have to experience those minutes that you had to experience yesterday ....
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Barbara Tibbs Well put Annie. These are scary times. No one should have to have such decisions to make.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Ursula Grass I read about this wrong message in the news yesterday and had to think of you. I can imagine which awful feelings were caused and I'm happy that you and all people at Hawai are safe
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Kat Wheeling I've been thinking all day about you and other friends, co-workers, and loved ones in Hawaii. I'm in tears right now reading about your experience. I am so sad this happened to you, and I can't imagine what you were feeling. Thank you for sharing this introspection with us. Keep looking up.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6hEdited
Mia Wallace It’s all I’ve thought about all day, so I thought writing it out would help me process it better.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Kat Wheeling I read your post, showed it to my husband, and we were in shock. It must have been about 2-3 minutes after you originally posted. I immediately googled the threat and nothing. I can't tell you what a relief it was to see the post from Pan Georghiou. Great update re Tulsi Gabbard 's Twitter feed. My BBC update sounded about ten minutes after you posted. Surreal.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Mia Wallace Yeah, when I called my mom there was nothing anywhere on tv about it. I only heard about 25 minutes after getting the message from someone in the motel parking lot that their son heard from his college that it was a false alarm. Finally CNN had a story about it being a mistake.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Judy Rudnick Not sure if you have caught any of the local news, which is reporting this was the mistake of one person. This sadly does not surprise me. Hawaii is an interesting mixture of anarchy and bureaucracy. And since the sirens did not go off, (and I am us...See MoreManage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Mia Wallace Yeah....I kept thinking there should be sirens. I saw what looked like a military helicopter fly over so that to me was a sign that it was real. And just the panicked look on people’s faces...what do you do?
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Judy Rudnick Not to be a complete nihilist, but the truth is there is not much you can do in 15 minutes. Unless you can get to a concrete structure there's not much protection to be had. If you are not with the ones you love the most getting in touch with them makes sense.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Mia Wallace Thats what I did. The motel walls I figured were my best bet anywhere nearby.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Angela Klemp My friend living in Hawaii wrote a post for Washington Post about how she climbed into an empty bathtub with her dog and daughter and cried. How terrifying. We saw the news after we got off the plane in Tokyo and after it was resolved. I'm so glad you're okay and I'm so angry some irresponsibility caused such fear for so many people.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Judy Rudnick I often tell people Hawaii is really not in the first world, and stuff like this morning's false alarm are why.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply6h
Mia Wallace My friend Angela’s friend wrote this. She was more prepared than I was. I felt good because my backpack was stocked with food and water for my upcoming hike, so I was ready to go if I did have to go somewhere else to take shelter for a while. The funny...See MoreManage
Show more reactionsReply5h
Lutz Lehmann Beautifully written, considering the awful topic. It is personal stories like that, what our so called "world leaders" should get to read a thousand times every morning, so that they'd have somewhat of a moral guideline.

But I'm afraid that, in the lo...See More

Manage
Show more reactionsReply5h
Mia Wallace Yeah, I am worried where the future will take us.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply5h
Diane Moskal Can we please have some diplomacy with North Korea now?
Manage
Show more reactionsReply4h
Martin Riesch well written Annie! ... my first thoughts were yesterday: oh no, now it's reality. Fortunately, it was a mistake that scared so many people. ... what went through my mind: I thought about how it was 30 years ago - in the cold war. I was not even 10 yea...See More
Manage
Show more reactionsReply3hEdited
Lutz Lehmann Having been born and raised in East Berlin, these are my thoughts exactly...
Manage
Show more reactionsReply3h
Polly Morran What powerful thoughts and am glad you are ok your poor mum must have been so worried keep safe and if you need to immigrate come stay with us xxx
Manage
Show more reactionsReply3h
Torsten Hübner I'm a cold war kid, too. And I've made my decision very long time ago. I probably would drive to a beach, too. But in lack of a shore, I would grab the ones I love and drive as close to an arrmy base or other priority target as I could. If this day ever comes, I want it to be over for me in a second and I don't want to see that "day after"...or the days of hell following.
Manage
Show more reactionsReply3hEdited
Erik Carib Some people do make a real mess of the world that belongs not only to all humans but also to all other living creatures. Lets make sure we aren't the ones who create that mess. The least thing we can do. 💚
Manage
Show more reactionsReply1h
Mark Ritter Wow Mia, you and my other friends in Hawaii were on my mind a lot yesterday.
I recorded all of the national news last night mainly to see recorded scenes of the panic this caused. 38 minuets of terror that shouldn’t have happened. I can’t begin to imagine the psychological toll.

I’m a radiation safety officer among my many other duties. I know enough that I wouldn’t have panicked but I would probably have been even more scared. The concrete structure you were in was the best place to be. Underground would be even better. You are pretty much protected by alpha and beta particles indoors. At least at first.

Depending on the yield of an explosion and it’s proximity to your location, a limited nuclear exchange is very survivable. Distance and topography as well as weather might leave you completely unaffected and that’s about it for optimism.

I don’t want to live through a nuclear war. The nuclear saber rattling needs to stop.


1 comment:

Ann said...

Marianne, you summed it up all too well: two crazy, arrogant, inhumane bullies. True! But understandable from N. Korea. NOT in the US. When will people stop accepting this outrageous behavior!