Sunday, February 18, 2018

We've Got Drifts; Yes, We Do!






I reminded Bill this morning of the "could be worse" assessment.  In this case, "we could be still living over on Great Northern Road." 

We have some drifting out here at our farm on South Center Valley Road this morning, but it all seems so insignificant in comparison to what it could be at our old home.

No, I'm not gonna repeat the story about rolling down the driveway off Great Northern Road because of drifts or about the end of our driveway being a "tourist" trap----in more ways than one---when the winds blew snow out of the north.

Yup, some people did get trapped literally while trying to maneuver that curve where hurricane-like gusts swirling around and around left their mark.

Out here in Selle, we are pretty much protected by a bunch of big trees---unless we want to walk out to the hay field, that is.  Since there's no wind block, some fairly dramatic, intense blowing and some skin-freezing temps can be encountered out there. 

Anyway, we're making it through the weekend wild winter storm.  Bill went to town about 5 this morning to get gas for the snowblower.  He said Selle Road was plowed out and the highway, but the plows haven't made it out our way yet. 

Nonetheless, the Daily Bee paper deliverer has, so we appreciate having our North Idaho Sunday

With this being a holiday weekend, I'm sensing the urgency to get every last road in Bonner County plowed out first thing in the morning does not exist.  Cars are making it through, so all is okay. 

In the meantime, dogs, especially little Foster, are once again finding it difficult to scope out places to do their duty, which means the driveway and the lane will serve as doggie do do routes for a while. 

Since we're having the third major blast of winter this weekend, I thought I'd suggest a social media site for folks to study while staying inside and warm. 


James Martin, Jr., a professor at Montana State University and son of our dear, longtime friend Jean Martin, has launched a Facebook group site called "North Idaho Fishing History." 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/185199168903990/

Since fishing runs through James' veins, through a strong genetic influence, he and his mom have been putting together tons of fascinating facts and photos, detailing the fishing history of this area. 

In one post, James points out that he has fishing history on both sides of his family----commercial fishing with the Evans family on his mom's side and sport fishing for the big Kamloops trout on his dad's side. 

The site is open to anyone wanting to join and to contribute their stories and photos. So, check it out and put in your two cents. I think you'll enjoy the photos and the anecdotes. 

In other news, I found out this morning that I'm one penny richer.  Yesterday I received a letter from my bank, telling me that someone had found that the amount credited did not match the amount received in one of my deposits. 

Turns out this happened in Sept. 2016.  So, the bank has credited my account with $.01.  I could gripe, I guess, arguing that I may have lost a lot of interest in that time, but there's probably no point.

So, I'll just feel so much more secure financially.  Nice to know they're looking out for me in some aspects.

It's also nice to hear the three sets of chimes banging out their lovely sounds on the deck. We may have windy conditions, but in some ways, it truly is music to the ears. 

Happy Sunday. Stay warm.  






There's got to be a ball down there somewhere. 



No comments: