Friday, May 11, 2018

Bon Appetit at Birch Creek Farm: Merriment at Waldorf









It was a delightful break in my usual routine yesterday when I took in two enjoyable experiences. 

I went to lunch and attended a play.  

Of course, I've done both numerous times in my life, but never a cooking class in someone's rural home where participants dine on the result of the lesson plan. 

I also went to the Waldorf------school, that is, and attended an evening play about Robin Hood and his band of merry men (mostly female).  After all, it looks as if the sixth grade class is mostly girls, including Lefty's and my friend Terra.   

And, let's just say the play featured a local and, at times, current touch, thanks to the Waldorf instructor who adapted it for the student actors.  

In both cases, folks had to perform while others watched.  In both cases, the performers pulled off their acts with such ease and fun that their efforts brought great joy to the audiences. 

I mentioned last week my experience of meeting Ann Mellender at the Flower Farm. The more I thought about her cooking classes in her home in our beautiful Selle Valley, the more I knew I wanted to give it a try.

Plus, Ann is a vibrant and fun lady.  

I'm glad I went to her home and will happily recommend that folks keep track of when she offers her next set of cooking lessons, followed by a delectable luncheon, AND do sign up! 

While driving to her house, I kept wondering WHO would be there, and would I know any of them.  Well, that was quickly answered as I walked in the door of her lovely home on Jacobson Road. 

"Marianne!" I heard while shutting door and making my way down a long hallway. 

By golly, I knew everyone at the table where Ann had arranged for me to sit. We won't call it the "older ladies'" table; we'll just say our paths have crossed many times, in some cases while just occasionally in others. 

In fact, I'll be seeing most of the ladies at my table again Saturday at the Women of Wisdom luncheon where my friend and editor Helen will be honored.   

The initial overture to this experience set the tone.  I knew I was gonna have a good time.  Ann arranged for another group dubbed "the dance moms" to enjoy their lunch at a table by the window.

I knew some of them but most, all very nice, were first timers to my eyes. Looking forward to seeing them again. 

We mingled and visited for a while before "class" started. Ann stood behind her counter while her friend and assistant Angela quietly tended to details in the kitchen, all of which made the presentation very smooth for Ann.

At one point, I raised my hand to marvel at her poise and her ability to talk while getting the right ingredients in the bowls and gadgets at the right time. 

This brought back the memory of when I, for my 4-H cooking project, gave a demonstration to a bunch of "old" ladies, probably 30 years old, at the old Northern Lights Hostess Room.  

I was about 11, and to make a long and disastrous story short, I can tell you that the idea of "poise" had not yet entered my vocabulary or my being. 

Simply put, it was important to put the eggs in at a certain time.  I realized this when the dough started climbing the beaters and ascending to the top of the mixer.  

Upon this horrid discovery, egged on by increasing giggling from the audience, I tried, in vain, to get those eggs in there before a complete eruption of cake dough.  

Haste makes waste.  It's helpful to crack the eggs before throwing them into the mix.  That's when the giggles increased out and out laughter. 

Mrs. Hudon did not ask me to go to the district demonstration contest again. 

Almost 60 years later, I can tell you that Ann had done a demonstration or two in her life.  Turns out she and her mother gave cooking lessons, similar to yesterday's, for years in her Southern California hometown where she grew up on a farm. 

In fact, the two have collaborated on an attractive cookbook.

The recipe book includes the menu from our luncheon of bleu cheese and walnut tartlets, green salad with strawberries, Marcona almonds, goat cheese and herbed vinaigrette, roast chicken breast with spinach basil creme and homemade chocolate ice cream.  

Twas indescribably delightful----every single bite, and I'll tell you, as one who seldom eats much more than a slice of cheese for lunch, I ate EVERY BITE and savored the flavor for much of the afternoon. 

We learned lots of tips while listening and watching Ann do what she obviously loves.  We also visited her garden and her little gift shop, soon to be expanded. 

By the time we returned to the house, lunch was served, even with a little help from Ann's hubby Lars. 

To say a good time was had by all would be an understatement, and I do believe the classes this fall at Birch Creek Farm will fill up fast. It was that great of an experience with the food, the setting and the folks involved. 











Begin boiling process with taters in cold water, and be sure to remove the bay leaves before mashing. 















My friend Terra has been filling me in occasionally about the activities associated with this year's sixth-grade studies at the Waldorf School.  One night she called me up and interviewed me as part of her project leading toward knighthood. 

Another time she and a friend were out picking up garbage along Selle Road, also a requirement for the overall project. 

Well, last night she and her classmates put on an impressive play about Robin Hood and all his sidekicks. Magnificent acting and incredible piano numbers between scenes. 

You'll see Terra at the upper right.  And, I must say we didn't see too many of the expressions in this photo during the play.

I think they were so proud of their performance that when the cameras came out, they let down their hair, so to speak. 

All in all, I enjoyed a very fulfilling day yesterday----food and fun history.  A nice combo.  Thanks to all who made it so enjoyable. 

Happy Friday. 





No comments: