Monday, June 18, 2018

Weekend This and That






It was a weekend of mowing, painting, visiting, reconnecting, getting acquainted, celebrating and lamenting loss. 

While mowing the lawn yesterday, I met some new neighbors and their dog Luna.  The Yancey's were biking by the place on a family outing from their home off from Selle Road.

Turns out the Yancey's are relative newbies to Selle, like us, even though we have a few years on them.  Also, like us, they used to live in the old neighborhood in northwest Sandpoint. 

We had great fun getting acquainted at the end of the driveway while Luna made herself at home on the deck.  

Speaking of dogs, we finally met Boba, Liam's brother and litter mate. The Jahn family were playing "turists" just like us Love's at Ice House Pizza last night.  

As we stood in line to order Father's Day pizza, they were in line ordering ice cream cones. 

Within moments of this sighting, my former student Amy had gone to their car to bring Boba to the sidewalk for an introduction.  

We could see and did talk about many Liam similarities. We also agreed that we must get the bros together again sometime. 

As usual, Willie, Debbie, Bill and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at the pizzeria and later tried that ice cream.  I recommend the caramel pretzel cone.  YUM!

While we're on food, check out that barbecue in the photo below.  My friend and former student Gary Bailey cooked up that meat and a whole lot more helpings Saturday for a gathering honoring the memory of his brother-in-law and my classmate Duffy Walker. 

Twas one of those classic "old-time Sandpoint" affairs where pretty much everybody "knew your name," AND you knew theirs. 

You'll see fellow classmate Gene Clark and me being silly in one photo.  

Gene is amazing.  He lost both legs in a logging accident a few years back and has not let that challenge get in the way as he enjoys golfing at courses around the country. 

Plus, his sense of humor is the best.  I wish I could have stayed longer at Duffy's wake because of all those familiar faces, some of whom I have not seen in years.  

I know our big friend Duffy would be pleased to see all the wonderful connections his presence here on earth influenced. 

Now, let's skip to the bottom so I can tell you about Don Albertson. 


























My good friend Don . . . .

I know it was a tough Father's Day weekend at the Albertson residence up Gold Creek.  

The family said good bye to a wonderful man, and, as his daughter Tracie said on Facebook Saturday morning, "My dad earned his angel wings last night."

I first met Don at a new teacher orientation for the SHS staff in the Sandpoint High library in September, 1969. If I recall correctly, Don had moved over from Priest River High School to teach biology. 

He was hardly new to Sandpoint, though, having been born and reared on the family farm in Gold Creek. 

We soon developed a friendship because of our beloved country roots, and the relationship remained strong throughout our teaching careers and then some. 

Over the years, the friendship was even solid enough to survive some pretty creative pranks, often exchanged on April Fool's Day.  

I don't know how much the collect call I made to the Albertson residence from Texas amounted to on their monthly telephone bill, but they must have paid it. 

Some pranks, I cannot share. 

I will share that, however, that in one case---another telephone call---both Don and Terri rendered me totally speechless, breathless and very much ready to fade into the woodwork or into any place where I could hide for the rest of my life.

Over the years, I had the honor of sharing life events with Don and Terri and getting to know each of their four children as students, friends and even colleagues. 

Don was rock solid, quietly humorous and very much devoted to the concept of rural family life.  

He was definitely one of the good guys and always great friend. 

Will miss you, Don.  I am sure that your influence will be evident pretty much every day as years go by through the example you provided for both your family and your admiring friends. 

And, when April Fool's Day comes around, and I happen to receive a collect call from Heaven, you can be sure I'll pick up the phone. 

RIP, friend.  



No comments: