Monday, July 23, 2018

Sunshine







The good news:  so far, the deer haven't eaten all my sunflowers, like they did over at my sisters' house.

The bad news, maybe:  you're likely to see a lot of sunflower photos over the next few weeks---if the deer stay away, that is. 


These magnificent flowers beg to have their pictures taken as they soar over the rest of their floral flock, brightening up their environment just like that big orb in the sky.


We've experienced lots of both of the above over the past few weeks, and it's looking like we have a whole lot more coming our way. 


Seems like a good day for John Denver's lovely set of lyrics from a song which I also dubbed as "Annie's Song," since it was playing on the car radio when we drove her home from the hospital a few days after she was born.


I love my daughter.  I love my son.  I love my daughter-in-law.


It's that deep, everlasting love for them this morning and for the natural world that inspires me to dedicate this blog posting to the family of one of my sister Laurie's teaching colleagues who lost their 22-year-old son/brother this past weekend.


As a post on the Bonner County Human Rights Task Force Facebook states: The world has lost a truly beautiful soul. Rest in Peace, Erik.  


I'd like to also share a post from Erik Bruhjell's sister. 


  

From Katelyn Bruhjell

Thank you to everyone who has reached out to my family with love and support - it means the world to us to hear stories about how Erik touched your lives just as he blessed ours for 22 years. 


Erik was taken from us on Friday by a drunk driver, a fact that I'm still struggling to come to terms with. My brother was and always will be an inspiration to everyone he met. I will update all of you on funeral arrangments as soon as we have them solidified.


Many of you have asked what you can do, and while we're still processing what happened, we have thought of one way to honor Erik's life and passion. 


Erik majored in environmental studies at Gonzaga University. He loved nature and wanted to dedicate his life to guarding the environment. 


In light of this, we ask that each of you plant a native tree (or more than one) in his name. If there isn't room for a tree where you live, some native plants will do. 


Erik's life was taken too soon, but I know in my heart that he would appreciate life stemming from his death. #plantatreeforErik



So, in keeping with the family's wish and knowing the power of the natural world around us, I'm hoping to send a little sunshine to the Bruhjell family with words, lyrics, video and photos and to spread the word on how to honor his memory.  





Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a day that I could give you
I'd give to you a day just like today
If I had a song that I could sing for you
I'd sing a song to make you feel this way

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a tale that I could tell you
I'd tell a tale sure to make you smile
If I had a wish that I could wish for you
I'd make a wish for sunshine all the while

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high
Sunshine almost all the time makes me high
Sunshine almost always

Words by John Denver, Music by John Denver, dick Kniss and Mike Taylor




















No comments: