Monday, August 20, 2018

Corn-Stalk Pilgrimage 2018




Foster got to go with me to get corn stalks last night.  

It's a brief trip in the white pickup down North Kootenai Road, but still it was a big deal for little Foster, our mini Aussie.  He loves riding shotgun.

Every year about this time my friend Joanne sends me a note, telling me that her husband Tom has cut the corn stalks and to come and get 'em.

My horses love those stalks, which are doled out to them nightly for at least a couple of weeks each August and September. 

And, I learned a few years ago that Tom loves my homemade jelly.  So, everybody's happy in these annual exchanges between the Lovestead and the Tharp house. 

This year's trip meant added pleasure, not only for Foster but also for me and my camera.  

I pulled into the driveway and immediately saw that Tom had even put the stalks in a wheel barrow for me.  

Then, I walked to the front door with my jar of jelly and Joanne met me there in her pajamas.  Now, it's probably not relevant to mention this fact, but wait!!!!

Joanne even came out with me (very practical flannel pajamas, by the way) and helped me load up the stalks.  

She hobnobbed with Foster for a few minutes, and then I asked if I could take some pictures of some of the fun stuff around her tidy and adorable little farm.

She was more than happy to accommodate, so off we went, stopping every so often for me to take a photo and for her to tell me more about the items that took my eye. 

Joanne's not happy with her zinnias this year.  I would die for zinnias as big and beautiful as hers.  She says, however, that the blossoms are only about half the usual size.  

Remind me to jot that down and come back next year when zinnias are their real selves.  Must be amazing.  

She also told me the story behind her flower baskets which are accented by sweet potato vines.  As always, I learned something new.  Never knew we could get the vines at the nurseries.  

Anyway, Joanne buys the posies in May and creates the baskets herself. 

Awesome, to say the least. 

We walked past the barn, which is the real reason Tom, corn-stalk cutter and golf pro, loves the farm.  It's charming, especially with the floral and artful decor which sets it off all the more. 

As we moved on toward the black-eyed susans, Joanne and her pajamas encountered a sudden and prolific outburst from the sprinkler, which is set to go off when it turns dark.


Well, the smoke in the skies has helped darkness come earlier than usual and to create quite the comic scene in the Tharp yard.  

Never mind, the darkness, that sprinkler scored a direct hit on Joanne's mid-section. 

By golly, she moves pretty darned fast in those pajamas. I was kind enough not to take a picture, only cuz she moved so fast that I didn't have enough time to point and shoot. 

For some reason, the garden tour kinda sped up, and as we walked toward my pickup, Joanne announced, "I'm going in and changing into some dry pajamas."

That seemed reasonable to me, so I climbed in the pickup with Foster and drove back home where Lily knew exactly what was in the back of that pickup and headed directly to the spot behind the barn where I unload the stalks. 

While Lily and Lefty immediately began gobbling as I hurled some stalks over the fence, CB ran away.

Let's just say the little guy had never seen a corn stalk, and his young mind sensed a strange aerial attack. 

Didn't take long, though.  

I carried a stalk to the barnyard.  CB kept running so I laid it on the ground.  Within seconds his curiosity urged him to the strange green item. 

He sniffed and then began to gobble.  

It doesn't take long for horses to cue in to the good eats, and my horses love their corn stalk treats every single year. 

Thanks, as always, Joanne and Tom, for the stalks and for last night's lively visit. Your yard, garden and barn scenes are beautiful. 

Enjoy the photos of Joanne's gardening with a creative touch and, of course, the continuing smoke effect and the neighborhood deer at our place and at a neighbor's, doing what deer do this time of year:  a lot of eat and run!

Happy Monday to all on another smoky, gloomy day.  


























No comments: