Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Pictures Talking, Horses Stalking








We can almost see Schweitzer this morning.  Yesterday was a breezy, breezy day, and I'm sure the smoke we had here yesterday got blown 30 miles away. 

We're a long way from clear, safe air, but at least it's looking better, and with luck, we'll be back to somewhat normal activities by the weekend. 

Fall is not too far off, and it's evident in the colors and stages of plant life gradually appearing as replacements for all the spring and summer color. 

A good rain would make some of these scenes really pretty, but that's a ways off too. 

All in all, it's great to see some improvement from the gloom of the past few days. 














In other news, there have been dramatic developments on the barnyard corn stalk scene. So, I'll just let little CB do the talking.


Oh, goodie. 

I didn't know what these green things were the first time I saw them last night.  At first, they scared me, but I finally took a bite AND I'm hooked.  

This one's all for me, and now I can savor every bite. . . . 

Special note:  CB was so engrossed in his find that he had no idea Lefty was stalking his stalk.  







Dang, I thought I was gonna get this stalk for myself.  Oh well, maybe Lefty will share. . . . 






Guess he's not as generous a big brother as I thought he was.  Well, I'll fight for my rights AND my own stalk. . . . 





Barnyard Stalk Box Score:  Lefty, 1; CB, 0




Maybe Lily will give me some of hers. . . . 




Yummy, so far, so good . . . . 





Ouch!  That was short lived!  Dang it all, anyway. . . . 




A youngster looking for just one bite, just can't get no respect . . . . 




Barnyard Box Score, Session 2:  Lily, 1; CB, 0.   

As the days get cornier, I'm sure CB will develop some of his own strategies for successful stalking. 



In the meantime, I didn't have to fight with anyone to get my first taste of homemade bread and butter pickles, 2018.  

Bill had already gone out the door, headed for Priest River, when I reached in the refrigerator, brought out a jar of chilled pickles, which had been processed last night. 

Yum! Yum!  Probably better use Lily's strategy and not let anyone have a taste.

Otherwise, I may have to bite them to get my share. 

More cukes in the garden; more pickles, for sure. 







No comments: