Friday, August 17, 2018

This and That in Smoky Times









Bill headed out early this morning to help feed some bikers.

It's the annual Bike and Build Time in Sandpoint where a group of generally college-age bikers roll into town and spend some time assisting with building-related projects designed for low-income residents.  

The Presbyterian Church always hosts the group (this year 26) with places to stay, with meals and aiding them with other logistics.  

So, this morning, Bill is helping with breakfast for the troops before they head on out of town on a Western route.

The cyclists cross the nation during summer months, stopping off in communities for a couple of days to offer their help with construction projects. This year's group did some painting at a site out in Trestle Creek. 

Before he left for town, Bill told me of his black bear encounter while fishing up Pack River last night.  

Twas a big bear, and it came mighty close to where Bill was fishing, eventually looking right at him but moseying on to its next destination. Bill continued fishing.

My husband has much more nerve than I have in the midst of bears.  

While he was fishing, I was once again hanging around home, marveling at the beauty in the smoky sky as the sun began to dip behind the mountains.  

It was spectacular.

This week, for me, has involved  putting together the pieces for a Sandpoint Magazine story.  

Once again, my assignment involves little features about the "Natives and Newcomers," names of which, for the upcoming winter edition, will remain undisclosed. 

All I can say is they're good folks and that, as usual, this is a fun assignment.  

I not only get to spend time picking the brains and gleaning for nuggets of local nostalgia from folks I know, but the assignment also allows me a chance to get acquainted with some of the new folks now contributing to our community.

Yesterday, while taking some photos for this story in town, I stopped by the construction site of a new water hole/gathering place due to open sometime this fall.   

It's owned by a wonderful couple who appeared in "Natives and Newcomers" for the summer edition of Sandpoint Magazine, and it's fun to see the progress that Kennden Culp and Andrea Morcoccio are making as they near completion of their Matchwood Brewing Co.

Earlier this week Kennden told me to stop by and check out the interior of the brewery which will not only feature a variety of unique microbrews but also a place for folks to meet and mull over local issues.

The place is lookin' good, and it should be a fun addition to the area where, for several decades, farm folks used to roll up to the Co-Op grain elevator loading deck for their sacks of feed and other farm items. 

Wishing Kennden and Andrea the best of luck. 

And, so the beat goes on with this smoky August, where, at least for me, there seems to be a welcome lull in the "busYness."  

I'm not complaining because quiet time seldom lasts long.

News flash!  I hear soft but definite raindrops outside my window.  Hope it lasts long enough to do some cleaning.

Happy Friday.  













No comments: