Saturday, August 18, 2018

This and That; Out and About






Before I get too involved in my morning mutter, I must tell you about the link above.  

It takes you to a blog published by another retired Lake Pend Oreille school district staffer. I've known Connie Burkhart aka "Retired Mountain Woman (RMW)" for years but never very well until recently.  

Through some of our mutual activities, we've become better acquainted, and I've had the opportunity to appreciate the great lady and positive contributor to our general area she happens to be. 

RMW and her hubby aka "Retired Mountain Man (RMM)" worked at the middle school.  I've known them professionally (and, in the case of RMM maybe not always professionally). 

Didn't you, RMM, flip the breaker switch so we could get out of that boring curriculum day seminar? 

For some reason, I believe you did----much to the enthusiastic approval of the rest of us suffering saps sitting there while the instructor droned on with her overhead projector.  

Sometimes those folks just can't function without their technology!  So, I think, thanks to the breaker switch sabotage we got out early. 

Well, as I think about this moment many years ago, RMM either did it or he didn't.  Whoever did, they made all but one person in that room really happy.

Back to RWM.  I've discovered her blog of late after we've gotten connected on Facebook.  And, I thoroughly enjoy her posts.

RMM aka Breaker Man, is celebrating a birthday this weekend, and RMW is cookin' up something really tasty, which happens to be a family favorite.  

The chicken dish, however, has presented another mystery as to who in the family got credit for originally sharing it.  

The recipe looks good enough that whoever did supply it made Connie's extended family as happy as the teachers were that day when alleged Breaker Man flipped off the electricity.

There's another plus to RMW's blog.  They like their chicken recipe AND they have phenomenal taste in dog breeds.  

No, they don't eat 'em.  They just love those Border Collies like we do. 

Anywho, I encourage readers to bookmark RMW's blog. I got to thinkin' this morning that if we'd get this blog stuff a little better organized we could come up with something new based on something old. 

Used to be our local paper had news from all the general 'hoods in the county.  Sometimes the news was pretty darned basic, such as Jack Filipowski and Bert Wood blocked traffic with their trucks on South Center Valley Road for an hour while jawin' about their cows. 

Well, maybe that "fake news, made up by Marianne"  never made the old Sandpoint News Bulletin, but you get the picture. 

Folks knew and cared what other folks were doing. 

And, these days with blogs and such, you do get a lot more pictures of neighborhood news----like, for instance, there's a 5,000-acre fire up above where RMW lives in Hope, and she's got pictures of where the fire crews have established temporary settlements. 

Well, I muttered a lot, so to top it off, check out RMW's blog.  I think you'll enjoy it. 

In the meantime, all the photos below were taken in the past 24 hours, some on my way to town, others on an afternoon drive, and some here at the Lovestead during my wanderings around the place.   

I bought a smoke plant yesterday.  It seemed appropriate since we have so much smoke hanging in the air.  For years, I've admired the beautiful smoke plant in front of the Selle Valley Carden School. 

Well, the kids had a garage sale yesterday and one of the teachers advertised on Facebook that smoke plant starts would be among the many items for sale. 

When I stopped to get my plant, as always, the experience turned out to be far more than a simple purchase.  

Has anyone ever read in this blog how nice those kids are?

Well, they're all very special, and it was fun to visit with them as they and their adults dealt with the details associated with country  commerce. 

While I was there, THE NEATEST, CLASSIEST car came rolling into the parking lot.  

The owner got out, walked around and checked out the merchandise.  While he was doing his shopping, I showed a couple of the kids, Paige and Malcolm how to use my camera, using the car as a subject.   

Their pictures appear among this collection.  Malcolm took the photo of the car, while Paige snapped the shot of the car and its owner Mark Johnson. 

Overall, yesterday turned out to be a bit of a blah day with the smoky air and dust, but there's still plenty of sights to enjoy, to chuckle at and to just plain appreciate.  

I guess that's what I'd call today's assortment of photos, all meaningful to me and hopefully enjoyable to you readers. 

Happy Saturday. 




























No comments: