Thursday, October 18, 2018

Clickin' Sisters Clip Cloppin' Along













I need to share a few anecdotes before I get to the basics of yesterday's trail ride with my sisters, Barbara and Laurie, at the Wyman Game Preserve off HWY 95 near McArthur Lake. 

No. 1:  What you will NOT see in the photos today is the fact that I fell off my horse before I got on him. 

How does that happen, you may ask. Well, leave it to klutz Marianne, who can do clumsy better than most folks on this planet. 

I think it happened because my mounting block was positioned at the wrong angle to simply put my foot in the left stirrup, swing my right foot over the saddle and insert it into the right stirrup.

That's how it's normally done anyway. 

I did okay on the beginning, but when that right foot and its leg and the big body to which the leg and foot are attached swung over the saddle, all of the above just kept going.

No stirrup.  Just the ground at Lefty's feet. 

Lefty was amazed.  Barbara and Laurie were stunned.  Their horses withheld comment. 

I remained in my crash position for a few moments, mainly because I landed on the same shoulder that has given me fits for several months. 

After a brief conference with the shoulder and all its attachments, I decided to get up and try it again.  

On the second try, two other horses and two riders hovered in very close proximity to Lefty, lest a body come flying toward the ground again.

This time my lift-off aka mount was spot on---thankfully, and, so far, this morning my shoulder is not screaming in protest. 

The second note I wish to convey is that the "Clickin' Sisters" need a bit more experience out on the trail with our cameras.  

What will help immensely is that horses eventually learn to be camera horses, like my Lily.  Standing still at all times while Mom is taking a picture would be nice. 

Lily has her faults when out on the trail, but she is a supreme camera horse.  I think that's mainly because when she knows I want to take a picture, she gets to stop and stand. 

Our three yesterday didn't quite get that "stand and stop." I think that's because they were just as excited as their riders to get out there and enjoy the fresh, crisp air and the trail-side scenes along the vast network of places to ride in the beautifully planned preserve. 

So, we're still working on the camera-horse aspect, but we were all pleased with our guys as they performed some firsts in their lives.  

For Laurie's Pache, who performs and wins at national levels in dressage, yesterday's outing marked his first-ever trail ride.  He took it in his stride. 

All three horses took turns at refusing to cross streams or bridges----usually just one refusal apiece.  

Whenever a brave one of the trio of geldings would suddenly remember the old "chicken story" of crossing to get to the other side, said horse would take the lead and the other "chickens" would don their bravery suits and walk across with perfection. 

I do believe that both horses and their riders enjoyed yesterday's outing immensely.  

And, when the trailers and their rigs pulled into the Tibbs' Arabians driveway, we received a colorful and enthusiastic welcome from the rest of the herd. 

Our phenomenal fall weather lasts until next Tuesday, so we're hoping to take advantage and ride another day.  

That is if I can get on my horse before falling off. 

Happy Thursday, and Happy Birthday to our brother James W. Tibbs.  Have a great day, Jim. 




















The Tibbs Arabians were happy to see their friends come home from the trail ride. 



Well, let's just say most of the horses were happy. 

Scout, who's really a very handsome boy, showed his rage at not being allowed to go.

From what I heard, Scout, you went last time. 

Wait your turn! 




No comments: