Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Pickin' and Putzin'







Nobody was looking.  

So, I shook the apple tree----several times, no less!  

It was the culmination of a tempting moment like those when the imp of the perverse gives permission and instructs you to take the scissors and just cut the label off that pillow or the mattress. 

It feels good to break a strange law imposed on you for a lifetime. 

Then, you wait to see if the FBI comes to arrest you.

These days, in this crazy world, that could very well happen.

Who came up with these laws anywho?

Nobody arrested me yesterday, and I did manage to fill a small bucket with apples. 

These apples seemed to survive hitting the ground with nary a bruise. 

After filling the bucket, I separated them into two containers---little, deformed apples to a bucket for the horses and bigger apples in a pail for peeling.

Our tree has some of the strangest looking mini apples I've ever seen.  Don't know what causes that, but they're perfect for the horses.

We recently bought half a pig from the neighbors, so I'll be making as much applesauce as possible as an accessory to upcoming meals with pork chops and hams. 

Nothing better than dipping a bite of meat into that lumpy applesauce!

I also pulled up my Walla Walla sweet onions yesterday after discovering that the freezes of the past week or so spared them. 

Most of the afternoon was spent on the tractor.  Ours is a sexy Kabota which is now hooked up to a rather unsexy brush hog.  

We bought the brush hog several years ago for $100 from my brother.  We spent several hundred dollars getting it fixed once.  

It has served us well, and yesterday was no exception. With Liam running up and down the lane, keeping track of horses, I went round and round in three small pastures. 

Except for some needed weed eating along fences, the pastures look quite nice. 

So, it was a fulfilling and enjoyable day.  At one time, I even shed layers right down to a short-sleeved polo shirt. 

What a blessing we are experiencing with this full week of continually improving magnificent weather. 

Today my sisters and I will haul horses up to the Wyman game preserve near Naples and head down the many trails on the parcel near McArthur Lake. 

I'm guessing that's about as ultimate as it gets for some farm girl horse lovers.

Looking forward to the adventure. 

Happy Wednesday.   











No comments: