Friday, December 14, 2018

Winter "Blues" and Chili FACT Checking





Prior to talking about the "winter blues," I must tell a compelling story about chili.

In this present-day world of questionable facts, fake news, etc., I work harder than ever to stick to my journalistic integrity of thorough validation before divulging information I deem to be fact. 

Facts, in my mind, should rank right up there with the necessities we need to survive, i.e., water, food, shelter, etc. 

This particular fact being discussed this morning evolved from an experience yesterday at The Gathering Place aka Bread Basket Bakery north of Three Mile Junction near Bonners Ferry. 

My two sisters, Barbara and Laurie were sitting with me at a table happily spooning in bites of chili while I attempted to neatly eat a cherry fry pie without its tasty innards flowing out of the crust like lava with each bite closer to the center.

I had to really concentrate, and I had to nibble quickly, which is not a good thing when you'd rather savor those innards instead of gulping them down to avoid a mess. 

My total concentration and speed eating did include tuning in on comments from sisters.  

"This is really good . . . big chunks of tomatoes, lots of meat . . . this is the best chili I've ever had." 

Well, the journalist in me had to validate that assessment with good cooked facts, so I ordered a $5 container of that chili, and after I ordered a $5 container, my sisters followed suit.  

I'm sure they thought more of that chili would go well with the take-out sandwiches they had ordered for their dinner. 

The lady at the counter was nice enough to find us a box so our two $5 containers of chili would not tip over as we drove around the countryside west of Bonners Ferry.  

Our route took us through the National Wildlife Refuge and south down the West Side Road to the old highway along Deep Creek. 

It was a nice afternoon, almost like spring, in the Bonners Ferry area, and with occasional coughing left over from our trio of colds, we enjoyed the outing. 

Once home, I pulled out the container of chili and set it next to the microwave.  

When Bill came home, I announced that we would evenly divide that chili, adding that Laurie had said it was the best chili she'd ever had. 

I could hardly wait to try it but had to wait until after chores and for an hour closer to dinner time. 

Well, that time came, so I filled my bowl, smothered the chili with cheddar cheese flakes, stuck it in the microwave and then broke up some tomato basil Wheat Thins, spreading them over the melted cheese. 

The chili from The Gathering Place received two more scientific appraisels last night, based on the fact that both Bill and I sampled and now agree that it is about the best chili we've ever had. 

So, there are the facts.  If ya want a good bowl of chili, order one at The Gathering Place.  

I'd place bets on the FACT that after you sample, you'll ask the waitress to bring you a $5 container of the stuff so you can go home and have a second helping. 

So, there are the facts, and I'm sticking to them. It's definitely OMG chili!

After returning home from Bonners Ferry and knowing I'd have to leave the house to avoid getting into the chili, I went for a walk in the pasture next to the lane. 

While circling the round pen, I looked up and saw the most amazing afternoon sky I can ever remember.  

It literally looked like some unknown and invisible artistic figure was using the sky as a palette, indiscriminately splashing paint mixtures every which way but loose. 

Luckily, I had my cell phone and was able to capture a few factual validations of my assessment above.  

The dramatic scene in the western sky disappeared almost as fast as it had appeared moments before. 

Throughout the day, it seemed to me that the color "blue" dominated many of the scenes both here and around Bonners Ferry. 

So, the day did turn out to be a nice antidote to our emotional winter blues with the best chili ever and a chance to go see some of the places we all love any ol' time of the year. 

Twas a fun and tasty day.

Happy Friday.      














No comments: