Monday, January 21, 2019

Perspective




I’m sorry to have disappointed some readers by posting my reaction to footage of what appeared to be disturbing and utter disrespect of a Native American man during a series of demonstrations in Washington, D.C., on Friday.

My written reactions were based on watching and reading numerous news accounts and several videos throughout the day Saturday.
 
To say the least, I was horrified, angered and once more disappointed with the disturbing, inhumane and vile trends I see in occurring almost daily in this divided nation.
 
What made the scene even worse, in my mind, was the sheer number of teens, each with their individual mocking expressions, as the Native man sang and beat his drum.

The scene bothered me for numerous reasons but most of all because they were young people appearing unsupervised by any adults and clearly enjoying the moment at the expense of the older man.

According to some readers, what I observed in all those news accounts was inaccurate.

If it is, I apologize to those individuals for my reactions and for my blog response. 

A reminder to readers:  Slight Detour is a blog---NOT a professional news service.
 
For those who worry about me and my integrity, you can rest assured that when writing stories for publications, I make every effort possible to ensure that every word written is accurate.  

As with any journalist, even with editors, I have made a mistake or two over the past 50-plus years and have learned from them.

The purpose of my blog, however,  has pretty much always served an informal reflection on daily life as a rural retiree, as I live it and see it.  

I saw ugliness on Saturday several times over while watching and reading the various accounts, so on Sunday I used my blog as a tool to express my feelings.  

That’s my prerogative because it’s my blog. 

I tell others that if they don't like my blog, don't read it or, even better, go start one of their own.  It's free and very simple to start a blog. 

Since "Slight Detour" is published daily---in the morning----there was no way I had any knowledge of all the other videos out there showing, as one person related to me, that the boys were “victims.”

In my case, I knew only how I felt and what I had seen on Saturday. 

Apparently, this morning, as I read professional news accounts,  additional videos are surfacing and statements clarifying the chronology of the event are being made, including other accusations. 

Nonetheless, what I stated in my blog posting yesterday stands.

**This  nation is quickly moving toward a trend of wanton disrespect and inhumanity, thanks to horrid examples displayed by so-called "leaders" at the top.

**We do not need to spend $5.7 billion to build a wall symbolizing hatred.  

**We should, instead, spend that  $5.7 billion educating our young people to understand and appreciate cultural awareness so that situations like what we observed in the videos never happen again.  

**Adults/chaperones/parents should have been present to supervise and to de-fuse the potential for ugly situations like what we saw in the Washington, D.C situation.  

**I truly believe Nathan Phillips is a hero and a caring man of peace.  He deserves respect for the part he plays as a citizen and a Native American. 

So, let the videos play out.

Let the truth be known.


While we're on the subject, if  more videos of his speeches and examples of his tweets should surface to clearly convince me that Donald Trump never lies, never publicly demeans, demonizes or victimizes the citizens of this great country and that he serves as  sterling example for our young people, I'll be first in line to view them. 


In the meantime, on this Martin Luther King Day and every other day, let peace and goodness prevail.  

Let us strive to get back to the America we all can love.

This country could use some help.


From the man we honor today . . . .

“All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”

“I am not interested in power for power’s sake, but I’m interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good.”

“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.”

"If you can't fly, run; if you can't run, walk; if you can't walk, crawl; but by all means keep moving."


"There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right." 

                                                                    ---Martin Luther King, Jr. 



7 comments:

Karen Evans said...

Your integrity is just fine. Thank you very much!

Bluemax 36 said...

I don't often comment on stuff on your blog...today is an exception.

No amount of backing and filling will change what was seen by millions on Saturday. What we saw was a group of young people, many wearing MAGA attire including hats and shirts, taunting a native American elder. What led to that may be arguable, and it may be that Mr. Phillips is no saint...activists for any cause often cross the boundaries of propriety. We have only to look at Martin Luther King as an example. Though he is remembered properly and fondly for his accomplishments, those of us who lived in his time are also aware that, on occasion, he stretched the bounds of acceptability. Mr. Phillips may or may not have done that on Saturday. Most of us don't know. There is, though, a greater context, itself subject to manipulation, in which Mr. Phillips and the Covington Catholic students behaved. Using that context as a means of justifying behavior that was undeniable taunting of Mr. Phillips by the students is rationalizing the inexcusable. Those students didn't show up in MAGA attire and chant (yes, they were audible in the videos) "Build the wall!" as a result of some kind of Christian reverence for life. Let us not be confused.

Mike Brown

Marianne Love said...

Thank you, older brother. Eloquently stated.

Deana Sleep said...

Thank you for your integrity and honesty. I enjoy reading your blog and your perspective. I will repeat what someone else posted, I was fortunate to have you as an instructor in high school. And though that was many years ago, I carry those lessons with me still. Thank you.

Beverly said...

Your comments are respectful and thoughtful. I agree with your reactions to the events.
I lived and worked in Bonners Ferry and Boundary County in the early ‘70’s; love your photos of the area.
Thank you

Unknown said...

Opinion or not, you have a forum and a responsibility.

The sensational and inaccurate news reports that widely circulated on Saturday were shameful. Comments on social media and many blog sites were drawn to this “news” like piranha are drawn to bloody water. If it fit their narrative they went with it. Much of this commentary was tantamount to an electronic execution of these young students. I pointed much of this out to you after I read your “We Weep: Mutterings of a Country Hick” on Sunday morning. I asked you to view more footage than the media had presented on Saturday. I pointed out that the whole picture was not being seen, and that there was much more at work here than a few seconds of video seemed to indicate. I even provided you with some links. Your response to me was, “I'm not going to watch your videos. I have seen enough besides yesterday's videos in the past two years to formulate my opinions. I feel comfortable with the conclusions I draw. “ WOW!

I use to look forward to reading your blog because I found it uplifting. I think that you sense as I do that our nation is deeply divided and tearing apart. However, this divide is a two way street. It is certainly not a one-sided affair. I am reminded that many folks who preach tolerance are ultimately the most rigid and intolerant among us. Do you suppose your Jan. 20 blog did more to unite or more to divide?

susan said...

Thanks for taking the time to give us your observations each morning Marianne. Your words are insightful, thoughtful and calming. I particularly like your tone. You deliver your thoughts in an open- minded way, always looking for the whole picture. On the other hand, I can be too smug, judgmental, harsh when attempting to share opinions. Your personal blog is nice way to wake up each morning. You inspire me to do better.