Friday, March 22, 2019

Blah, Blah Blog Season










When you turn into a confirmed couch potato and the majority of your exercise involves going upstairs and downstairs half a dozen times a day to check your bracket success, your life is far from interesting.   

At least to others. 

It's been very interesting to me, but pretty hard to get outside and take pretty pictures in a day dominated by watching basketball on TV. 

That's kinda how the first weekend of March Madness goes for me these days.  

I've fallen and I can't get away from it. 

As with my daughter-in-law Debbie whenever I ask her "What's new?" during this time of year, I can echo her customary "Not much."

Being fully engulfed in March Madness for the participant, however, reaps minute-by-minute news with as many as four college games going at the same time. 

Oh yeah, I forgot the other exercise:  running the remote to flip channels from CBS to 245, 246 or 247 on our DirecTV feed.  

My fingers got some good workouts yesterday. 

Actually, we did do a few things besides going crazy into March Madness.  

I used my phone a couple of times to congratulate first-time bracketeer Helen on how she was doing.

We went to town for couch nibbling supplies and for Bill to get a haircut and to the ATM machine for cash to pay off bracketeering debts (just kidding!)

Besides the usual morning and night chores, I spent some time outside with the strong hay hands, Jeff and Adam, who brought me my last two tons of hay for the winter. 

They managed to back Harvey's hay truck through the driveway and even miss the cracked culvert just before the curve near the barn. 

It's pictured below, as are they.  

I look at that culvert picture and can't help thinking in a Freudian way.  It kinda looks like a face, a pretty grotesque one at that. 

The part between the eyes is flowing water---dirty, flowing water, coming straight from the barnyard and heading into the first pasture. 

At least, I'm assuming that's where it's going cuz there's still at least three feet of snow covering the other end of the culvert. 

Water has started to flow on the ground and not drop from the sky.  That's a good thing cuz when it does decide to drop from the sky again, much of the usual barnyard slop may not happen.

Anyway, as of yesterday, I'm happy every time I do go outside to see water moving, snow melting and a nice supply of hay in the barn.  

That means I can go back inside, quit worrying about the stuff happening outside and get back to the important work of the day:  16 more games, 16 more predictions for the brackets.  

So far, not bad on the brackets.  Of course, I got Gonzaga right and 12 others yesterday on one of my brackets, maybe just 11 on another. 

This year's tourney has four or five "could-go-either-way" matchups, and I slipped a couple of times on some brackets.  BTW:  I filled out seven all together. 

Today, we'll take time out from the tube to go to the dump, pick up some grain and more doggie biscuits and drop by another farm store so Bill can get his fly-fishing movie tickets for tomorrow night at the Panida. 

Talk about luck:  the fly-fishing films begin at 7 while Gonzaga plays around 4.  Bill, along with probably several hundred other  local anglers,  is truly elated about that time sequence.  

You can have it all---sometimes. 

Anyway, fair warning:  if the blog continues to be blah or maybe even not on time over the next several days, please know that I'm consumed with the truly important matters at hand----the remote and the couch and the upstairs computer and, of course, Gonzaga.

It's just that way when you fall into the Madness. 

Happy Friday.

GO, BRACKETEERS!

Wonder what the Bracketeer mascot is and if its head falls off in the middle of a performance.

Maybe I'll ask Jimmy Kimmel.  




Hay deliverers Jeff and Adam---thanks, guys. 




This memory popped up on my Facebook this morning. 

My classmate and friend Janet and I got together in between games at the NCAA Tournament in Seattle four years ago. 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a fun time. We are also consumed with basketball right now. Nothing much gets done.