Thursday, April 11, 2019

TBT and Dr. Seuss Reflections

A summer day spent floating the Kootenai River from Yaak Campground to Twin Rivers Campground, northeast of Bonners Ferry.

Laurie, Barbara, Marianne, Willie, Bill and Debbie.

Fun memory. 

~~~~~~~~~~


It's kinda fun just picking a spot in the midst of more than 7,000 photos on my computer. 

Today's TBT's go back about seven years.  

Hard to believe it's already been that long since we floated the Kootenai River and Foster and his cousins Meggy and Jessie were just pups and that Class of 1982 celebrated a 30th-year reunion. 

Time flies when you're on the go, but the people in your life pop up in remain timeless, precious images in the midst of all those adventures. 




When pups were little, they went to a local Fish and Game spot for swimming lessons.

I don't think Foster liked the water, but his cousins did. 



Peggy, Malia and Jeralyn:  trouble for sure but fun ladies!

  Monty, Todd and Sarah, from the Class of 1982, sharing some good stories.

Anaway! Anaway!  Anaway!
 At least one of these folks will definitely remember the Gone with the Wind three-day oral book report because that person began recording each and every "anaway" uttered during the report.

Anaway! 

This guy on the left started with me and my brother Jim in the 1981 Bloomsday.

Howard Knight and Jim were juniors in high school back then.

I was specific by using "started" because we hardly finished as a group.

Less than a mile into the race, I hit a rock and turned my ankle. 

It sure did hurt.  Jim and Howard wanted to help me get to a medical aid station. I told them to go on.  I was gonna earn my Bloomsday T-shirt.

Well, I did---limping, walking, sometimes jogging seven miles, meeting lots of friends along the way.

Twas a Pyrrhic victory earning that T-shirt cuz that ankle and half my leg swelled up like an elephant.

A cast, crutches and three and one-half weeks of recuperation followed.  So, I can distinctly remember how my husband and my friend Helen feel about time moving too slowly.

BTW:  both Bill and Helen have been told that they can put 50 percent of weight on their recuperating feet.  Both doctors told them that they could determine how to work that 50 percent.

I suggested that they do a 50-50 deal.  Fifty percent of rest at night and fifty percent of use in the day time.

Bill heard another suggestion last night:  strap themselves together and use the healthy foot on each person for walking and let the other two feet rest. 

Kinda like a sack race. 

Helen, are you up for that?

I digress. 

Anyway, I must brag about Howard.  He does unbelievable leather work for Harley Davidson and other well-fixed customers, i.e., a set of Western boots for President George W. Bush.

 https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stevensville-montana-leat_b_4271232

Osaze has always had the "It" factor with her singing talent and welcoming personality. 

Since the day she sang the
National Anthem" for a local horse show, she has continued to blossom and to impress pretty much everyone along her pathway. 

Two beloved friends to many:  Kenny and Moreen Leen, horse-show planners, managers and maintainers extraordinaire. 

Kenny, if you're reading this, I can heckle you in print just like I can with a microphone!

Just yesterday a jogger came by the Lovestead and thought Foster was a pup.

She was pretty shocked when  I told her he was going on eight years old.

Foster can sometimes enjoy the ride when we're hiking and geocaching. 


~~~~~~~

Another edition of that little girl in the bibs (pictured below) on the go in Vietnam. . . . 


For some reason this morning, while looking at Annie's latest photo albums from Da Nang, South Vietnam, I could not get Dr. Seuss out of my head. 

I finally just relented and embraced that oh so famous line:  Oh, the Places You Will Go!

Seems like an appropriate theme for how she's approached her life.  

Even the sibling temper tantrum with her older brother occurred in a faraway place, down South in Louisiana when the kids were visiting their grandparents.  

Annie posted the photo yesterday for Siblings Day.  

Anyway, the places those flipflops have gone and the attractions those eyes have seen, and to think, she's only just begun.

I guess for all of us who follow her adventures vicariously, we can sum it all up:  somebody's gotta do it so we can enjoy!





You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care.
About some you will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

And you may not find any
you'll want to go down.
In that case, of course,
you'll head straight out of town.

It's opener there
in the wide open air.

Out there things can happen
and frequently do
to people as brainy
and footsy as you.
And then things start to happen,
don't worry. Don't stew.
Just go right along.
You'll start happening too.

OH! THE PLACES YOU'LL GO! --Dr. Seuss




































No comments: