Friday, June 14, 2019

Dog Days on the Pack with Humans!






I was surprised to find a parking spot near the bridge over Pack River.

This bridge is located on Colburn-Culver Road, and on hot summer days, if they don't show up early, folks headed to the swimming hole might have to park as far as half a mile away.

It was late afternoon, and possibly the usual crowd had already thinned out. 

A lady with a group of kids came toward the car next to me.

"How's the water?" I asked.

"Perfect," she said. 

If it was perfect for humans, the dogs must have been loving it. 

By the time I reached the swimming hole, it seemed as if dogs outnumbered humans.

That could have been because they were SO busy and so ubiquitous, both in the water and along the shoreline. 

Twas definitely "dog-day afternoon" during my brief visit. 

One of the humans, who had been called upon to throw balls and sticks into the water probably more times than he cared to do, announced his last throw. 

He was carrying his car keys so it was obvious he was calling it a day. 

He threw. 

Dogs leapt.

And, this time poodle boy who belongs to one of my former students, Megan, swam the fastest and retrieved the ball. 

Megan graduated with Willie.  Her husband Ezra teaches with Willie at Sandpoint High, along with several members of the SHS Class of 1995.

Megan told me she's been hanging out at the Pack River swimming hole since she was a kid, living along Lower Pack River and attending Northside School. 

I kinda imagine that the stories associated with the history of that popular country swimming hole in the Selle Valley could fill at least a couple of books. 

Endless generations of kids, babies and dogs have gotten their feet wet there. 

Later, I was reminded of the spots popularity for putting in and taking out of kayaks, canoes and pontoon boats. 

I had said good bye to Megan, returned to my car and was backing out as I saw a woman in a straw hat walking  south on the road. 

She looked familiar, and as I looked closer, I was pretty sure she was familiar.

"Becky!" I hollered.

Thankfully, she turned around and looked my way.

Becky Marienau Hawkins was walking back to her pickup after a day of kayaking on the river.  They had landed at the bridge site just as I walked away. 

It's looking like another great summer at the Pack River swimming hole on Colburn-Culver.

I doubt that I'll ever find parking spot that close to the bridge for the rest of the summer. 

Great place!

Happy 75th birthday to my brother Mike and Happy 79th to my dear friend, Pat. 

Hope you both have a wonderful day. 

Happy Friday to all.  






























No comments: