Thursday, June 13, 2019

TBT: Past-Tense Images





Back when the ol' Ford was running, Bill bought it from my dad and brought it home to Great Northern Road where we lived for 30 years. 

Somewhere along the way, we obtained a harrow and at least got to "play" farmers.

Since then, a pretty orange Kabota has replaced the Ford with mowing and dragging the fields.



~~~~~~~~~~ 

Present, Past, Future, Present Perfect, Past Perfect, Future Perfect

The six tenses of verbs:  don't worry, no grammar lesson this morning.

As far as I'm concerned, the present, past and future can all be considered "perfect" at times.  Other times, not so much.



I heard a well-known and brilliant funny man say something very serious to a Congressional committee the other day in reference to the 9-11 responders and renewing the compensation fund for those suffering illnesses related to their work on Sept. 11, 2001 and afterward.  

Your indifference cost these men and women their most valuable commodity: time. It’s the one thing they’re running out of.

Jon Stewart keyed into the most important commodity we all have in this life:  time.

We savor times past, times present and hopefully times in the future. 

I often think about time and photography and how the two working together can bring endless enjoyment of split-second moments in our time here on earth. 

How lucky we are when someone does bring a camera to record those moments. 

How wonderful it is to look at the images and think about the day or even how much time has passed since that day which, thanks to a camera, is etched in time. 

That's why I love thumbing through my oodles of print pictures or scrolling through my ever-growing computer photo libraries. 

Seeing the images often takes us on a trip back to the past, and with some moments, we think how nice it would be to do that again some time in the future. 

And, of course, there's the historical sense of images, which reminds of where we've been, where we are now and where we might want to be in the future. 

In short, I love taking these Thursday morning trips through images and remembering the good ol' days and, like Jon Stewart suggested to Congress for the responders,  hoping there will be many more good ol' days to come. 



Several years ago, I spent a weekend in Seattle with my daughter Annie, attending a Mariners game AND kayaking on Lake Union.  Twas my first kayaking experience and definitely fun. 


This is Willie standing at the door to the hay loft at our old place.  He still acts pretty serious. 


Debbie's first job when she moved to Sandpoint involved traveling as the area representative for the Girl Scouts.  Her office was down in the old City Hall, now a music conservatory. 


A wonderful moment for a wonderful man: the late Fr. Tim O'Donovan's celebration at St. Joseph's Catholic Church when he became Monsignor Tim.  

His buddy Fr. Carlos, now at St. Ann's in Bonners Ferry, was one of the many who attended the celebration. 


I'm pretty sure this little guy will be celebrating a rather significant birthday tomorrow.

I'm also pretty sure that's my brother Mike.


Some Facebook friends may recognize themselves or people they know in this photo.

Twas one of my English classes when I taught out in the portables at Sandpoint High in the late 1990s. 


Fourth grade:  Lincoln School.  Our class was taught by Alberta Sutliff. 



My neighbor Helen Williams Baker at the gala honoring her and four other women as Women of Wisdom.

Helen lives in the neighborhood. 


A grand lady of Selle and member of the Selle Club.

Tomorrow her family and friends will honor Ina Jacobson who passed away recently, almost making it to 100. 

Definitely a life well-lived. 


My sister Laurie set aside a day each year for her students to visit the horse farm.

This bunch, along with a couple of helpers, Merissa and Janae (left) visited in 2009. 


Some royal ladies of Sandpoint back in the '90s.  I'm trying to remember where that Chick-n-Fish was located.

Mandy, Nicole and Suzanne. 


A Chris Pietsch photo catching a moment back in the '70s after Bill and I bought our first farm on Great Northern Road.

That's our dog Sarah. 


Mother enjoyed visiting with the wildlife at Cabela's. 


Sarah Aavedal and her mom Linda designed and crafted this beautiful quilt for me back in the 1990s.

I treasure it and its meaning. 


Romain, it's time for you to come back and go for a ride!


That little munchkin on the left is now taller than I am.

She and our horse Lefty are buddies.

Terra, Tricia, Trent and Boston a few years back. 


I'm not quite sure of the story associated with this photo, but it looked like Sefo was ready to dig into a sumptuous meal. 







No comments: