Thursday, July 18, 2019

Throwback Thursday: America







It was a September day 18 years ago. 

My mother and I, in our red, white and blue, proudly waved our flags, with other locals, on the walking bridge as cars continually honked back at us while rolling past on the main Long Bridge across Lake Pend Oreille.  

Hard to believe so much time has passed since our beloved American nation was attacked on Sept. 11, 2001.

Even harder and sadder to believe what has happened in this nation since that time. 

I still love America.

 I do not love what is happening to our country, especially after witnessing the vile hatred spewed at a rally in North Carolina last night. 

I've heard the statement uttered many, many times lately:  


This is not who we are! 


But, now I wonder about the accuracy of that statement.

  I also wonder about the methodical and calculated tarnishing of so many sacred principles which many of us have held dear throughout our lifetimes.

We are allowing---some blindly so----a despot to spew hatred and division in this country in the name of patriotism.

We are witnessing a continuous pattern. 

Courageous people disagree (a fundamental American right).

They become targets.

Our nation is sliding down a path I never dreamed of seeing in this country.

It is sad.  

It is disturbing. 

It is wrong. 

I yearn for a day much like that September Sunday 18 years ago, which  I spent with my mother out there on that bridge, waving a positive message as a proud American. 

Sadly, my mother will never come back to stand out there with me.

Nonetheless,I hope and pray for the day when my pure sense of American pride does.

I still believe that WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS.   




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is unfathomable that the words heard from n.c. Last night could be spoken by any patriotic American but coming from the mouth (and heart and soul) of the POTUS it is both disgusting and alarming. Surely no person who follows Jesus Christ can support this cretin. There is no evidence of love, respect or compassion from him or his supporters. You are right to reiterate the comment that we are better than this. It's time to prove it!