Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Gifts of a Day







It was so nice yesterday afternoon to see the water back in McArthur Lake near Naples. 

When I passed by after taking a short hike in the Wyman Game Preserve, the sheer beauty of the lake, with its rising water, was stunning. 

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game supervises a drawdown every few years to improve the habitat. 

For more specifics: 



My canine buddy Liam accompanied me yesterday.  It's been a while since he's walked on leash, so we encountered the preliminaries, including him shooting out the car door before I could even grab the leash. 

Happily, he listens a lot better as a 4-year-old compared to past years.  So, I grabbed him, attached the leash, put the camera around my neck and we took off down the trail. 

We eventually caught up with Susan, Pilar and Lola (she's the poodle).  Liam made one doggie advance at Lola but quickly reverted to his good manners and behaved like a gentleman. 

When I told Susan and Pilar that I figured the bears, including the grizzlies, had gone to bed, Pilar told me that a grizzly had visited their home just down the road earlier this year. 

We enjoyed a brief introductory conversation and then headed our separate ways. From that point on, Liam made me proud, listening to and responding to commands.  

He kinda reminds me of my horse Lily who seems to know when I want to take a photo and stops giving me all the time I need.  

I don't know where Liam learned to sense the need to sit still while Mom is working with the camera, but he seems to respect the situation. As most Border Collie owners will testify, those dogs are just plain smart. 

Our visit to the Wyman property was much too short.  Usually, I'm on the back of a horse, but with little or no snow, we can actually walk the trails. So, a return trip is on the bucket list, and Liam can come along too. 

Yesterday was a day of great anticipation because both Bill and I could hardly wait to head off to the Panida Theater for an authentic taste of Ireland with a trio of lovely ladies from the Irish National Republic called Affiniti. 

https://www.affinitimusic.com/biography

So, the trip to the beauty of McArthur Lake and the Wyman property served as a mere teaser for the phenomenal evening ahead. 

We figured we'd hear some beautiful and nostalgic Irish music from the trio and from crooner Bing Crosby's nephew Howard.  




There was more, much more.  

Witty ladies who use their serious and amazing talents but who do not take themselves too seriously---what an added bonus!

Plus, like most Irish folks I know, they like to tell stories, making sure to throw in the "important" little side details. 

Howard, the host, with a voice a lot like his famous uncle's, shared an abundance of Crosby family trivia and wonderful anecdotes dealing with "Uncle Bing." 

People who love Irish music no doubt also love each of these performers with their musical sophistication sprinkled with a delightful dose of down-to-earth warmth.  These performers are obviously comfortable in their own skin. 

I have a feeling that within the packed Panida last night, hearts were thumping, goosebumps were rising and tears were occasionally flowing with the sheer awesomeness of the moment.  

What a gift these four people brought to Sandpoint!  And, how wonderful were Howard's words afterward:  we'll be coming back. 

Bill and I both give thanks to our daughter-in-law Debbie for the gift of this lovely evening of magnificent music. 

I've included a YouTube video of the group.  Hope you enjoy. 

Happy Wednesday.  May you enjoy the gifts of this day, which has already provided a light but pretty dusting of snow.   

  




















No comments: