Monday, April 06, 2020

At Home Sights; Worldly Perspectives















Except for a trip to the Bonner County Transfer Station on Bill's part, we stayed home the entire day yesterday. 

I was thinking this morning that on our normal schedule of flitting here and flitting there, these woodpeckers could have made a visit and we would never have known.

I was filling a bucket with water at the tank when I looked toward the end of the driveway and actually saw four of these gorgeous birds bouncing around deciding on their preferred perches. 

"No way I could go to the house and get my camera," I thought.  Then, I thought, "Why not give it a try?"

By golly, three of them were still working away at the poles as I slowly and carefully made my way within shooting range. 

I was doing okay, snapping and then moving a few feet closer when suddenly something started tugging at my pant leg. 

Twas Festus, our cat, who sure did want some loving right at that moment. 

Try as he might, Festus was not gonna make me screw up this opportunity.  

So, as I moved in closer, so did Festus, rubbing my leg all the way. 

Fortunately, my self discipline took over, and I managed some nice shots.  A bigger lens would have been nice.

I'd say the woodpecker show highlighted the Sunday at-home day for me. 

Again, we putzed at our respective projects---Bill in the woods and I in the garden and greenhouse.  

We're supposed to have a relatively nice week ahead, so the outdoor putzing and projects will continue. 

Looking forward to the springtime distractions from reality. 














~~~~~~

As always, several segments of time in my day involved catching up on the news and perspectives both online and on the TV. 

Running across the photo below certainly gave my funny bone a workout. 

Who knows what people look like inside the confines of their domiciles after this long.  Could get even better. 

A couple of friends have vowed they may never wear pants again. 




~~~~~

A morning reflection from Sandpoint High grad Dr. Jennifer Hunt who has been working on the coronavirus front lines in Arkansas.  

Jennifer currently serves as chair of pathology department at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. 

You can also see her in person by clicking on the Ted Talk link below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnxtlD-NwU

Her dad Tim once served as Festival at Sandpoint director, while mom Judy taught French for several years at Sandpoint High School.  

Judy was also instrumental in arranging for us to host Luxembourg cardiologist Dr. Romain Ollivier one month each summer for three years back in the 1990s. 


I was sitting here with my morning coffee, thinking how strange and abnormal my days are now. No superfluous meetings, no travel, no deadlines to accommodate. I don’t even reliably read my email anymore.

But the routine of covid-19 days makes them all run together and feel the same. Monday feels the same as Friday and even Sunday. 

Time passes fluidly, without markers, even though this the monotony is intense and electrified. Of all the things to feel resigned about, today, the flat, unpunctuated feeling of our new time felt like my weight.


Then, I looked outside my kitchen windows. 

And I forced my eyes see the glorious sunrise unfolding in slow motion. I remember just 6 weeks back, sitting with Josie day after day before the bus. “Look at that beautiful sunrise,” I’d say. 

She would roll her eyes and tell me, “it’s the same every day.” 

 I would force her to look at it and remind her, “No honey, it’s different every single day. There will never again be a sunrise exactly like the one you see today.”

This morning, the Arkansas River is covered in fog. But the sun insists on rising over it anyway. And it will never look exactly like this again. 

Today is Monday, April 6. And even if it feels like every other day, it is a unique day, never to be repeated again.

I think I’ll try to notice today and not let it blur into tomorrow.




~~~~~


A beautiful and meaningful speech from an icon of our lifetimes.  

Meant for Great Britain but a universal and comforting message for all. 








Today is my friend Sharon Bistodeau's birthday.  

She is a nurse at Bonner General Health, and I have known and loved Sharon for years.  

Both of my parents experienced Sharon's warm heart, TLC and nursing skills at various times in their final years. 

And, of course, the fact that she's from Michigan and knew firsthand many of my mother's childhood and young adult digs certainly endeared her to our family. 

Sharon is a familiar friendly face in our community when it comes to volunteering her skills and empathy. 

I'd like to dedicate this powerful video below, especially to Sharon today because of her birthday,  but also to the myriad of other medical personnel throughout the world who have given so much for the welfare of others. 

I think all have earned hero, angel and even saint status for their sacrifices.

SO appreciated. 

  


1 comment:

Helen said...

I suspect many, many people in Bonner County have benefitted from Sharon's skills, wisdom, compassion, and dedication over the years. She is truly an angel. I'm sure she will remain on the frontline today and a birthday celebration will have to come later. Thank you, Sharon!!!