Sunday, November 22, 2020

Lovin' the Weekend






I LOVE this weekend!

Lots to love in spite of all the turmoil, politically and pandemically. 

I don't love any of that, and I wish it would ALL go away.  

Since it won't, one must dig down deep at times to accentuate the positive. 

There has been plenty this weekend, almost all outside.

I figured out a formula for getting Kiwi to gobble up her antibiotics and pain pills.

That was good, and Kiwi is doing very, very well. 

She even spent part of her morning out supervising while Bill picked up brush and threw it into a healthy bonfire. 

She had a nice but short visit with Willie and Debbie who came by with a block of Tillamook cheese from Costco. 

Did we need anything, Debbie had texted.  We always need cheese.  After all, when dogs and peeps alike devour their share pretty much every day, cheese is a necessary staple around this house.

And, it's nice to stay ahead of the game. 

While Bill, the woodsman did what woodsmen love to do, I the yard lady did what I love to do.  

Though I'll never get ahead of the game on those pesky and persistent oak leaves, pretty much all the other varieties have fallen and have met their destiny, either under the lawnmower or with a ride in the cart. 

While Kiwi was supervising Bill, Liam did the same for me. As Bill says, he likes being a companion dog.  He also takes quick breaks to run his personal perimeters and see that the horses are behaving.

As for Foster, his main job is in the barn, keeping track of Sunny, and when he's had enough of that, the little guy is perfectly happy staying in the house, sitting on top of the couch and surveying outdoor action from his favorite window. 

Today we have another beauty ahead.  There will be a little horsing around and some other outdoor odds and ends. 

Plus, I'm going to stop by briefly to hand over a gift to my friend and blog editor Helen who's celebrating a birthday. 

When I talk about loving the weekend, I must tell you that I LOVE my friendship with Helen. 

Yesterday, we were laughing so hard over the phone that I finally had to bring the "whoopfest" to a stop. My throat was starting to hurt from too many hearty giggles. 

Without getting into too much detail, I'll first say that Helen, who's as sharp as they come, has a very curious mind.  

When something piques her interest, she acts upon it, unlike any other person I've ever known.

Again, without too much detail, Helen's research usually ends up on spread sheets. 

In yesterday's conversation, the topic included a lady with six sons who was a widow for 47 years.  Helen has found information on one son and has applied it to the spreadsheet. 

With five more sons to go, she may use up several spreadsheets. 

The best part of the conversation came when she noted that some of her research even brought my mother into the picture.  

Apparently, my mother attended a function which involved some relative in this rather extensive family.

I treasure my friendship with Helen.  I think we've often helped each other get through some dicy moments of life, and I'm sure that will continue.

The best part always is the laughter.  I guess you could say that some of our telephone conversations could be called "Saturday Night Live on Steroids."

And, that's mighty good thing these days.

So, Happy Birthday, Helen.  As I always say, "Your friendship is a gift." 

And, the best part for Helen:  I think her many friends would say the same.   


Helen of Spreadsheet Newton



~~~~~~~~~

In other news, the first thing I saw this morning when I began my surfing was this town which requires appendix-less residents. 

So, of course, that piqued my interest AND no spreadsheet was needed. 

I have a feeling that during the Pandemic there will be no population explosion due to the minimizing of "elective surgeries." 




For all of us oldsters, this day in November always takes us back to the moment we learned that President John F. Kennedy had been assassinated.

For me:  junior year, Sandpoint High School.  As a first-year journalism student, I was editor of the "Knothole," a mimeographed newspaper put out by the newbies looking forward to serving on the Cedar Post staff.

Barb Kitt, the assistant editor, and I had just begun putting one of the blue master sheets on the mimeograph machine in Imogene Davis's business classroom.

Imogene left the room briefly and then walked back, stood in front of the class and announced that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. 

I don't even know what happened to that master copy at the machine.  I just know the tears came flowing.  In total distress, Barb and I walked back through the hallways to our journalism room where Bob Hamilton was our teacher. 

Soon after we arrived an announcement came that the President had died school would be dismissed. Somehow I eventually ended up at St. Joseph's Catholic Church to say a prayer and then went home.

My brother Jim was just a month old.  We, like so many other Americans, spent the next week glued to our black and white television sets. 

It was a sad, sad time, and thinking about it now, 57 years later, rekindles the sadness.  Almost too much when you consider the times we are living in now. 

BUT the sun is shining and the great outdoors awaits, and we can always give thanks for our outdoor beauty, our friends, our family and all that we love and all that helps us press on. 

Happy Sunday. 







No comments: