Saturday, November 21, 2020

Saturday Slight

 




Disclaimer:  There's a slightly naughty graphic at the bottom of today's post.

  The analogy, however, is spot-on and oh so timely.

 So proceed through today's post at your own risk.

What an unpredictable but fulfilling day yesterday turned out to be!

I had fully expected to spend the day leisurely working on the final touches of my never-ending leaf pick-up project. Twas also online grocery pick-up day.

Bill planned to drive to Bonners Ferry for the final touches of his forestry project. 

Then, when I walked into the garage and reached up to get our 15.5 year-old Kiwi a doggie biscuit, I noticed she was really favoring her front leg.

Upon closer inspection, I saw that her paw was bleeding near the claws, so I led her outside where I could see better.  

She left a trail of blood on the cement, and by the time I was able to bend over for a closer look in the outdoor light, I could see blood oozing profusing.

 Then, I saw something worse:  a partially dislocated bloody claw pointing off toward Nellie's.  It had obviously caught on something and had been yanked from its "socket" as Kiwi pulled away. 

I did not even want to imagine how painful this must be.  I summoned Bill and then began calling vet hospitals.  

Ours was packed to the brim, so they suggested some others.  Another was also on overload, but when I called North Idaho Animal Hospital, the nice receptionist, even after seeing we were not regular customers said she would talk to her team.

She soon returned and said we could bring Kiwi in for an emergency appointment. 

When I went back outside with a bucket of warm water to clean Kiwi's paw, I saw that the dislocated claw had disappeared, and the bleeding was subsiding. 

Bill cancelled his plans, loaded up Kiwi in the back on some towels and we headed to town.

Long story short, Kiwi received some minor surgery with Dr. Morgan to cut back her exposed "quick" so it would be safe from bumping into to things while the claw grows back. 

Bill and I met at the hospital later in the afternoon. Only one of us was allowed inside because of Covid, but the time spent there was so positive.  I met Stephanie, Kiwi's vet tech who just moved to the area this year.  

Wonderful and fun lady who told me Kiwi had received total attention throughout the afternoon AND I did hear from everyone on the phone and at the hospital how much they loved our beloved Border Collie. 

Pretty cool for an old gal.  Of course, we already know how special she is, and we're looking forward to her healing and lots more trips with Bill down the lane to help with his wood projects. 

I can't say enough about how appreciative we are that the hospital took us in and how phenomenal our beloved dog's care was. 

Thank you, North Idaho Animal Hospital. 

In between trips to the hospital, I also picked up my groceries at Yokes where a meeting had been arranged with a former student whom I had not seen for about 35 years. 

Cindy O'Donnell had made arrangement with me to look at one of her writing projects. I told her I don't usually take on such projects, but because I had remembered her as a pure and enthusiastic learner, I would say yes. 

Cindy used to live in our old neighborhood near Great Northern Road, and we met when she was a student in my senior English class. 

She married a local woodsworker, Pat O'Donnell, who has a relative or two around the area.  A bit of an understatement!

Cindy and Pat have been living in a 5th-wheeler in Northern California where Pat has been working as a sawyer for the State of California for the past few years.

That was one of the best parking-lot conversations I've had in years.  We caught up on a range of levels in our personal lives and by the end of the day, Cindy became one of Annie's Facebook friends.  

Why? You may ask.  

Well, when someone is an avid geocacher AND she wears flipflops 12 months out of year, she and Annie need to meet!

Great visit and reconnection, Cindy.  Looking forward to more when you return for good. 
  



 And, speaking of O'Donnell's, our longtime family friend John O'Donnell posted this local Sandpoint High Bulldogs team photo from 1961-62 on Facebook yesterday. 

Since both of my older brothers are in the photo and SO many other names whom we Sandpointers know, it seemed appropriate. 

Hope the locals have fun picking out familiar faces and local legendary coaches. 



In the "there's actually a Pandemic Plus" department, a great story about making lemonade out of lemons with sports and academics below.  

Grandma's and Grandpa's around the world, get ready to watch!




The story above is so cool, and it offers a wonderful and positive distraction for the months ahead. 



No news value in the photo above.  It's just our Sunny out and about in the front yard.  

Since she lives in the barn, it was unusual the other day to see her coming out to join me while I picked up leaves. 

~~~~~

And now for the aforementioned "slightly naughty" graphic with a very effective message sent to me by someone treating people who did not understand the concept. 

Happy Saturday. Stay safe.  

No need to practice peeing on others to see if it works.  

Just wear a mask! 







No comments: