Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Feeling Fortunate: Good Pain

 



We are classmates.  

We are friends.

We are now partners in Covid vaccination. 

Ruthann was sitting in Sandpoint yesterday morning, while I was sitting in a Panhandle Health District room in Hayden.

I'm wagering that needles went into our left arms and squirted a dose of Covid vaccine either simultaneously or dang close.

I'm sure this morning that Ruthann could report that her left upper arm is a bit tender but not that bad.

That's how mine feels. I asked for my left arm because I lead three horses to and from the barn with my right arm, which sometimes gets jerked around a bit when CB thinks he needs to meander. 

No need to have two sore arms. 

Having a slightly sore arm did not hinder my cleaning barns this morning in the least.

What pain remains is definitely "good pain," inflicted by the most amazing nurse who vaccinated me so fast I felt nothing.  Absolutely nothing!

I called yesterday "maintenance day" because, in addition to driving 40 miles to Hayden with Bill, I also had an afternoon eye appointment. 

The day was filled with a range of emotions, including giddiness, sadness, anger at myself along with frustration, relief and deep felt appreciation. 

There appears to be no rhyme or reason why folks in our area have had the opportunity to be vaccinated. 

There is a chart, put out by Panhandle Health, indicating who's eligible, but an appointment form has been circulating around Facebook for the past several days, encouraging seniors to sign up.

Last week I knew of folks my age who received their vaccinations locally. I filled out a rather confusing form and figured I was on a waiting list.

When nobody called on Friday, I figured we would surely be waiting until April. 

Then, another updated form was circulated.  This one dealt specifically with a clinic in Hayden on Monday and Tuesday of this week.

Once again, I wasted no time filling it out, and in places where I had no idea what to answer (insurance stuff), I simply put none.

There was also a section asking who was coming with me.  So, in both cases I filled in the blank with Bill's name. 

Here's where MY major glitch occurred.  Bill needed to fill out a form of his own. 

Still unaware of that fact, we went together, parked in the PHD parking lot and stood in line where National Guard staff checked us off from a clipboard. 

That's when the extremely disappointing news was revealed. 

No words can explain how AWFUL I felt, and, in his customary manner, Bill was as gracious as could be.  Still, I knew his disappointment. 

I learned from others in line that THE FORM had caused frustration.  In one case, a man told me that he finally gave up and had his son fill it out. 

Once inside, the guard took our temperatures (Bill was allowed inside).  Then, when I was sent to a room where within 60 seconds I was vaccinated and on my way to another room to fill out that form again on my phone for a second appointment in February.

The volunteers acknowledged that the form had caused more confusion than necessary, advising to say I had no insurance and to skip that section all together. 

Filling out the form on the iphone sufficed for the 15-minute wait period following the shot. 

I dreaded going to the car where Bill was sitting because I was not only thrilled to have had this opportunity but also still mad at myself that my oversight caused my teammate to have to wait it out some more. 

The guard gave him some suggestions and he is signed up ON THAT FORM for future vaccination clinics.  It sounded as if the Hayden staff may be continuing the clinics after they move to the Kootenai County Fairgrounds. 

So, we have our fingers crossed. 

All that disappointment does not erase the relief I feel that the vaccine is beginning its work inside my body.  

It's an emotional experience to say the least, often evoking tears of joy. 

At the same time, thoughts always include those not so fortunate who have lost their lives or suffered or continue to suffer from this cruel and ruthless disease.

As a communicator, I believe the communications regarding area vaccination program availability  could improve considerably.

I also believe, with confidence, that the kinks in communication will get worked out. 

These are uncharted times, and trying to accommodate SO many people has to be daunting. 

 That said, I cannot say enough about the impressive efficiency I experienced yesterday. 

Everyone---many of them volunteers---was so polite, helpful and professional.

Thanks to all the dedicated people involved in making this experience possible and so positive. 

The day definitely felt like a new lease on life. 

I am forever grateful.

Soon, after our second dose of "good pain,"  my buddy Ruthann and I will probably be looking for some innocent but "good trouble."   

  




No comments: