Friday, December 03, 2021

Friday Stuff







Got a find!

That's what geocachers yell when they track down their caches.  

I wanted to yell that announcement yesterday while tidying up the cupboard over the dryer. 

You know:  the kind with most shelves above your head and stuff crammed so tightly over the years that it's a miracle that the doors still shut. 

And, when those doors do open, sure as shootin', something may come flying out and threaten to hit you right in the face. 

That hazard is especially prevalent with the cupboard over the washer where, for years, Bill, the "Be Prepared Boy Scout" has stored his vast menagerie of batteries on the second shelf above my hairline. 

More than once while needing to sift through the collection for a couple of double A's for TV remote,  big batteries or little batteries have come flying out, banging and bouncing on the washer and rolling to the floor. 

So far, I haven't suffered death by battery, but I've come pretty close.  

Same is true with my spice cupboard.  Nothing more dangerous than a second shelf of pickling spice, cumin or cloves cans flying out every which way but loose before I finally find the ginger. 

Well, anyway, the cupboard I was cleaning yesterday is mainly filled with veterinary products for dogs, cats and horses, some of which, until yesterday, had been there for 15 years, many of which got thrown in a garbage bag.  

I had just about completed the cleansing when I spotted a white box on the second shelf.  It didn't look like any medicinal stuff to me, so I was curious as to what was inside. 

Well, imagine my delight when I pulled out the adorable container above.  Perfect for Christmas and perfect for putting my mind to work wondering who gave that to me when and why it was in the  vet supply cupboard 

As I ponder, I'll just enjoy it as a new and lovely addition to the Christmas festiveness around the house. 

If whoever gave it to me happens to be reading this, let me thank you again and redeem myself by suggesting that I kept it safely hidden, waiting for the perfect time to be displayed. 

Seems 2021 was designated as that time. 

Anyway, it's always fun to make such discoveries while engaged in purges of cupboards, shelves and boxes.  

I'm figuring this winter will provide plenty of time for such activity, and, as I continue, the house should be much safer.  

Speaking of items to add to your cupboards or closets or shelves, maybe even some to stay hidden for years, the Pioneer Woman has provided an interesting list of stocking stuffers on her blog.  

I'll give you a link to the blog and one, which I hope works for the stocking stuffers.  

If you don't know who the Pioneer Woman is, do some binge watching on the Food Network.  You'll find her, and if you shop at Wal-Mart, you'll find a lovely array of her attractive,upbeat and unique home products.  

I would also send you to our daughter-in-law Debbie's house where there's a nice supply, some of which was used for Thanksgiving dinner BUT she's pretty busy, away from home, at the Food Bank. 
 


Did I ever tell you that a few years ago Debbie and I actually met the Pioneer Woman in person at her store in Pawhuska, Okla.


Anyway, if, for example, you need toilet stuff that lights up your bowl in different colors or if you need sneaky ways to beef up your Internet connections, she lists 65 such items for you to consider. 

It's a fun list.   








Our Cindy, a Sandpoint High grad and currently Vatican Bureau Chief for Catholic News Service,  has traveled to Cypress this week with Pope Francis. 

She's working hard but having fun too as you'll see from her comment below. 




"I did another of my sneaky selfies with the pope yesterday. This time he is walking toward me."


While on the subject of Cindy, I must mention her older sister Cheryl who is retiring next month.

Last week, after receiving my property tax statement, I did my usual and sent a check the very next day. 

Twas the last time I'd send a check to the Bonner County Tax Collector aka Cheryl Piehl, our county treasurer extraordinaire.   

Cheryl always gets the most votes of any county official when she's up for election. 

What a magnificent job you've done, Cheryl, over all these years!  

You will be missed at the Courthouse, but now you can enjoy your life after dealing with all those taxes. 

Have fun, and Congratulations. 












No comments: