Sunday, May 22, 2022

Machinery Woes

 



It froze again last night. 

Ugh!

The most beautiful day of 2022 starts out with a white film over the grass. 

This year has dished out its fair share of frustration.

BUT we could be in Colorado or South Dakota where kids can create snowmen.

So, I won't complain. Too Much!

I just hope my beautiful little apple blossoms are hardy enough to fend off the frost. 

In other news, we have a new Mr. Coffee. 

It's the yearly model. 

We bought a little time last year when I took the other one apart, washed all its intricate parts and put it back together.  It quit gasping for air and worked well until this past week. 

I followed the same procedure a few days ago, but the pot kept gurgling and gasping and taking three times longer than usual for the coffee to drip into the pot. 

Bill yelled out the door yesterday before going to town, "Do you think it's time to buy a new Mr. Coffee?"

"Probably so," I answered.  

In our Mr. Coffee discussion earlier this week, which noted that we buy a new one about once a year, I mentioned my computer printer.  

It's a Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 932C.  I believe I have had the printer for at least 25 years, maybe more. 

It still works.  Yes, occasionally I have to baby it along, but it always comes through for me. 

The printer is so old I get nervous when it's time to go to Staples for new ink, always hoping they'll know what I'm talking about. 

So far so good on that account. 

I didn't pay that much for the printer, just like we don't pay much for Mr. Coffee's.  

Why does the printer keep on working while we've probably purchased several Mr. Coffee's in the printer's lifetime?  Just wondering.

By the way, I'm drinking coffee this morning made from the new Mr. Coffee. 

While we're on machinery, my zero turn mower and the mini rototiller are sitting in front of the shop, in hopes that Wizard Tony can come by this week to reinstall the belt on the mower and do his magic to make the rototiller run longer than 30 seconds. 

My bad on the belt.  

I took the mower through an area yesterday which was wetter than expected and the belt came off its tracks. 

As far as the rototiller is concerned, the dang thing needs to do all of about 15 minutes of work once or twice a year. 

Bill has already used up that amount of time over the past several days trying to get it to start and to keep it working. 

Unfortunately, the tiller has never stayed alive long enough to leave the shop area and get to the garden.

I told him that if he could start it right next to the garden, we could hurry up really fast, stir up some dirt and then put it to bed for the year. 

Thirty seconds, though, is not quite enough time to work up my dirt. 

So, if my friend Tony is nice enough to come out and put that belt back on, he can move on over to the rototiller. 

Unlike the coffee maker, I'm not going to send Bill to town to buy another new tiller! 

Ahhh, spring.  

It always brings on new, often unwelcome challenges and a variety of ways to get exasperated while trying to just get something done. 

We had another seasonal development around here yesterday.  

The cows came back for the summer. 

I've seen Bert Wood over next door fixing fence this week. 

Yesterday the cow population in the neighborhood increased considerably cuz Bert also has a herd at the north end of our road.

So, the dogs and horses will once more have to get used to new moo activity next door. 

I also noticed that the doe trotting across Gary Finney's field yesterday has a rather ponchy tummy.  So, it's likely that the deer population will grow significantly over the next few weeks.

Lot happening, and in spite of the frost, the sun promises a lovely day ahead, and the birds outside my window are singing happy songs.

I'm looking forward to some leisure time with no worries about machinery at beautiful Farragut State Park today. 

Happy Sunday.   















No comments: