Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Fa La La La Fata and All That




 I voted in a unilateral polling last night.

When the votes were ranked and counted, Coach Joe Fata came out on top.

The SHS junior varsity  coach came to the game, wearing the most brilliant of ugly sweaters at last night's  Sandpoint High girls varsity game against Kellogg.

As you can see in the photos, I avoided all family favoritism in my voting. 

It was easy to eliminate Coach Love because he was NOT wearing a sweater.  

Granted, his grinchy T-shirt was nice, but there are rules to follow and the sweater requirement is pretty important. 

I gave varsity assistant coach Madi fair warning if she thought she was gonna win.  

"Your sweater is not ugly enough," I told her, suggesting that she go in the locker room and put a little make-up on Smiley Face. 

She simply smiled, went on her way, which eventually included the locker room.  

And, when she came out, I immediately marked her off the list.  No make-up had been used to make an ugly Smiley Face. 

Granted, it's not a good idea to turn a smile ugly, but this was just a contest, so Madi had her chance. 

As for Annie, she scored extra points for putting on her ugly homemade sweater, but she also arrived late.  

Contest winners have to follow all the rules and being on time is one of them. 

Yeah, she did fly all the way from Seattle to attend her big brother's game, but I also have to be fair to non-family members. 

Bulldog senior Lily was among the team members who wore their sweaters during warm-ups.  

I really liked her Bavarian touch and wished that she would have, at least, played one quarter wearing the sweater. 

Yes, I realize that she could have gotten a little sweaty in her sweater, but you have to sacrifice if you're going to win.  

Which brings me right back to Joe.  

He wore his sweater proudly from opening tip-off to game-ending buzzer.  

In all fairness, I did see him walking out of the gym with his sweater in hand after the game, but I'd already made my decision. 

Joe's sweater was especially a classy ugly number because it included a hoody, decorated with colorful puff balls on the hood. 

Plus, Joe FATA definitely followed a theme with his Fa La La sweater breast plate. 

Every time I looked at those puff balls from my bench seat during the game, I felt that Joe had gone the extra mile to win. 


So, congratulations and Fa La La La, Coach Fata.

And, congratulations to the Bulldogs for taking the win in a hard-fought, fun and competitive game. 

Last night's victory brings to the Bulldogs to an 8-1 record. 

It was a fun evening of basketball, visiting and fa la la's.  

I don't know if there will be ugly sweaters at tonight's home ZAGS game, but I do know they're playing, and we all hope they rebound once again. 

The 6 p.m. PST game featuring Gonzaga taking on Jackson State will be broadcast on KHQ-ROOT. 

GO, ZAGS!!!
🏀🏀🏀🏀

Happy Wednesday! 
 
















No comments: