Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Potpourri of Thoughts and Sights

 


Puddles. 

We have plenty this morning, and once again, I won't have to do much watering today, thanks for an emphatic downpour yesterday afternoon. 

This rainstorm meant business.  I was out driving, looking for photos with my camera, and got drenched a few times just opening the car window. 

This storm should be very beneficial for slowing down wildfire concerns, smoke in the air and dried-up pastures. 



Compared to last year's bumper crop, it's just not looking like a great tomato year. 

I ate my first sun gold cherry tomato yesterday.  If I recall correctly, I was eating those off the vine for weeks last year, much before the end of July. 

There doesn't seem to be that much fruit on any of the plants.  Maybe we were spoiled by the sheer abundance that we enjoyed last year. 

As far as growing corn is concerned, I've decided it's not worth it here on the Lovestead.  Over the years, I've planted it in various locations, and pretty much every year at harvest time, it's a big disappointment. 

In some years, beautiful stalks have yielded ears with very few kernals on the cob.  The same seems to be true for this year's crop:  small ears, mostly empty but a few with corn just to remind us how good it tastes straight off the stalk.  

We each enjoyed about five bites last night.  I'm hoping some of the other ears decide to grow in size and produce actual corn. 

At this point, I probably won't plant corn next year. 

My green beans are doing well, and in the next few days, I'll harvest a cabbage and turn it into sauerkraut.  The rest will turn into coleslaw. 

It's been an interesting year for all homegrown fruits and veggies, but we're still getting some enjoyment. 






Mrs. Peacock decided to check out the view on top of the travel trailer yesterday afternoon. 

Having left her babies on the ground she didn't stay on the roof very long. 

We see the family at least four or five times a day now.  

This week we're also seeing the Siamese which likes to vacation at our home.  I still have no idea where it really lives, but I do know that it gets enough to eat somewhere. 



Brandon, who's featured in the story below, comes to our house occasionally.  He's helped put in our hay, and his girl friend Emma (also a UM student) spent a year living as a German exchange student with Willie and Debbie. 

We are happy for Brandon.  He has earned this distinction. 


🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉

My friend Ernie writes a great letter.  

This time he and his wife are encouraging West Bonner County School District students to take part in their school activities----which this year, after a levy did not pass, are possible thanks to the work of community organizations and volunteers. 






First pumpkin to appear. It's in a place on the manure pile where I can monitor it from day to day. 

I'm wondering if, with the next heat wave coming up,  it will grow to a size worthy of being entered in the fair next month. 

If not, there should be plenty of pumpkins for decorations. 


I hate this, but it is artistic.  

Just one of the many roots rising from the ground around our poplar trees, causing me frustration with my lawn mowing. 












Looks like  a lovely day after a rainstorm ahead.  

We need to enjoy it before the inferno scheduled for this weekend starts.  

Happy Wednesday. 




No comments: