Saturday, September 07, 2024

Saturday Slight




I heard a lone coyote yipping in the field north of us while taking the horses to pasture this morning. 

It seemed a bit unusual because there were no train whistles blowing and it was well into daylight. 

The critters of the wild are making their presence known here in Selle. 

I've seen two reports of cougar sightings in the area west of us.  

Last evening while driving to Friday-night dinner, Bill and I saw what we think was a coyote in the field where Woods keep their bulls off from West Selle Road.

I commented about it, and Bill said that it looked like a big one.  Then, we both thought about the cougar sightings.  

We'll never know if that coyote was a cougar cuz we were driving on the highway and kept on going toward town. 

Anyway, it's been interesting to note what seem like slight anomalies in the neighborhood.

As for anomalies, have I ever learned about praying mantises since posting the photo of one on yesterday's blog post! 

I've even gone on a praying mantis tour since then.  That happened when Barbara took Laurie's little Aussie pal Callie to Family Pet Emergency Care yesterday.  

Callie was having stomach issues, but she tested out just fine.  We all surmise that she may just miss her mama who's probably still in Iowa on her way to Ohio as I type. 

While waiting to wrap up the vet visit, I mentioned learning about praying mantises. Within minutes, Marlo, the receptionist, took me outside to show me the mantis population in the flower pots along the south side of the building. 

"They don't like it when I water," she said, adding that they come out of their spots from deep in the pot and climb up the flower limbs. 

Before the mantis tour, I had learned from friends that the women mantis eat the men's heads off after having intimate relations. 

I won't even go there but it is tempting in some cases I've read about.  

This eating their lovers leads to a longer lifespan for the women.  Seems reasonable! 😏

Much more disturbing to me is learning that mantises eat hummingbirds. 

Yes, there are You Tube videos, but I'll refrain from including them. 

Too much nature reality for me. 

Bottom line:  keep track of your hummingbird feeders for praying mantises ready to pounce. 

Anyway, it's interesting what you can learn after some incidental flick of a mantis that landed on your hat.  

 






This is one of the mantises at Family Pet Emergency Clinic.  And, she's a lady cuz she's green.  One friend noted that the males are brown. 





We went to Matchwood Brewing Co. for dinner last night, and this young lady from the Marienau-Mitchell gang served us. 

She's a 4-H'er and often seen at horse shows. 

BTW:  Barbara was talking to Laurie who spent the night in Sioux City, Iowa. 

Below:  Spanish flowers in the city of Leon, which Annie reports has a Popeye's Chicken, which would make "Dad happy." 



Annie hot footed it to Leon without much trouble today and she has already settled in to enjoy the city for two nights. 





To my neighbor Leslie:  Did you send Letty over to Spain to keep Annie company?

Check out today's blog post and Happy Saturday. 













No comments: