Sunday, September 08, 2024

A Day of Visits

 





This little lady had fresh farm eggs to show off when I met her for the first time yesterday. 

Her family bought a farm in the neighborhood, and after some remodeling, they'll be living there permanently. 

So far, their Jersey cow, their goats and a goose have been watching over the place whenever the family is not there. 

Plus, the chickens are doing what chickens do:  laying lots of eggs. 

I spent about 20 minutes visiting with the family before nasty bees drove me to my car. 

Seems that the bees are suddenly desperate to get a bite of human meat, and they really like me. 

Fingers crossed, though.  So far no bee stings for this year, but I sure have put forth some crazy antics to escape them. 

Back to the family.  The dad was a student in one of my last English classes.  I don't think I've seen him too often in the 22 years since. 

But yesterday's visit with him and his wife and his kids made it seem like almost no time had passed as far as the comfort level we felt.

Yes, many things have occurred in his life and mine since our days at Sandpoint High. 

Yesterday, wen I slowed down to a stop on the road to take a photo of him mowing grass and some significant dust, there was immediate recognition.  

Soon, the scene in their driveway of the two of us visiting included cute little kids running from the barn area to join in on the fun.

Later, when I walked to the barn to meet his wife, Little Miss Egg Lady came my way offering up some goodies from their hens. 

Spending time with them marked another of the many spontaneous visits that often make my day.  Plus, it's fun to know they'll be living in the neighborhood. 

 I also now know to distinguish the "one honk" greeting I've been hearing lately from my neighbor Gary Finney's multiple honks as he passes by our place. 

Turns out it's these folks driving by and sending a greeting while going to see another part of their family here in Selle.  




When I arrived home from one spontaneous visit, another was developing. 

Joanne had called and wondered if we would like some of their corn.  

Usually, they give me corn stalks for the horses, but a while back when Joanne read in the blog that our crop wasn't so good, she thought she would share. 

So, they came out.  She handed me corn while I handed her some jelly, noting that my supply may not be so great this year with no plums and just a few berries. 

But there are apples---hundreds of them.  

They're little and not the best, but the horses like them, and I'm sure to have more than enough to throw in a kettle and cook up some apple jelly later this fall. 

So, eventually Tom and Joanne will have their occasional jelly drop-offs at their little farm in Kootenai. 

For now, it was great fun for us to visit while throwing apples to horses. 

Of course, the horses loved the treats, and soon their lips were covered with dripping apple froth. 

We later sat on the deck and enjoyed a good visit. 

This time of the year is always fun because I know---in a corny way---that I'm going to see Tom and Joanne. 
  

In both cases, my visits served as perfect reminders of how many good-hearted people share with us the simple gifts of friendship on any given day and, in so doing, make our day and probably theirs.

It's a good life. 
 





As noted, Annie spent yesterday hanging out in Leon, Spain.

As you can see from the map, she has made considerable progress in her 21 days on the Camino, as she began in Roncesvalle, France. 

Check out what she has to share after her "day of rest."  




My sister Laurie and brother Kevin and Pache arrived at the show facility in Wellington, Oh., yesterday. 

They moved in to their cute cabin and Pache settled into his barn stall.  

So, they'll have time to rest up and to prepare for their first class Tuesday in the Arabian Sport Horse Nationals. 

Stay tuned. 

Happy Sunday. 






 



No comments: