Monday, September 09, 2024

Monday Miscellany

 



It's pretty even if it isn't exactly clear what it is. 

You may figure it out, though, from the photo below. 

We went out to Trestle Creek after dinner last night to see the Kokanee spawning in the stream. 

As I said to Bill, the droves of people who come to see this early-fall phenomenon probably have similar photos:  basically some read floating around in the water. 

We both agreed that underwater cameras would be great for such visits.  Bill is going to get to see just that when he participates in a couple of field trips next week where students come to see the Kokanee and learn a bit about the Kalispel language.  

During our visit a couple of families and a couple from Kootenai County came to see the fish.  





The most amazing sun I've seen in a long time rose over the Cabinet Mountains this morning. 

I ran inside to get my digital camera with its telephoto lens.  Of course, in situations like this we always wish for a better lens. 

It was definitely a sight to behold. 









Sunflowers are putting on a show, not only where I planted them but also where the birds planted them at the feeder.  



These three occasionally stand side by side without nipping at each other or picking fights. 

I was lucky to catch this image of Lily, CB and Lefty. 






CB experienced a real shock yesterday afternoon. 

Our solar-powered electric fencing has been turned off because the horses are not in that pasture.

I still use it as a gate while herding them to and from the hay field. 

Of late, CB has been pushing "the tape," reaching over it to eat grass, etc. 

Yesterday when he had one foot over it and one on the other side, I tried to push him back.  

Instead, his hoof caught the tape, and it broke. 

Happily, there was still enough tape left to re-tie it to the main line.  

I also flipped the switch on the charger and waited about a minute for CB to go assault the gate again. 

He did. 

A split-second later he lunged backward, began snorting and ran down the lane to get away from that fence. 

I don't think CB will be pushing the "tape" anymore---for a while, that is. 

Occasionally, they need reminders. 


Barbara teased Laurie about seeing "some good air" in the photo. 

Laurie said she noticed it too when she looked at it. 

She added that Pache was probably beginning to extend his stride while they were doing some practice in the arena at the Arabian Sport Horse Nationals in Ohio.  

Tomorrow the pair begin their Western Dressage national competition with Basic Test 4 Open. 

Fingers crossed for a good outcome. 



Annie put in a lot of miles today along the Camino, which means she's that much closer to Santiago. 




Check out her story and photos. 





I'm loving my little wildflower combo of posies in the manure spreader.  They're adding some welcome color in our mostly dry and dusty landscape. 

And, what to I see while mowing some of the dust/grass yesterday:  the first red maple leaf to drop to the ground. 

It's signifies a bittersweet time, knowing we'll get a whole lot of fall color but not much after the leaves all fall. 

Have I ever said how much fun mowing the lawn is in the early fall?  

Golpher holes forming with piles of fine dirt, twigs and leaves landing everywhere, and, when I'm on the mower an abundant supply of residue down the back of my pants. 

Twice yesterday while going to the bathroom, I had to do clean-up of the outside world that dropped from my pants.  

I love my lawnmowing but could happily skip the dirty days.  












No comments: