Thursday, July 30, 2026

Thursday This, That; TBT

 


No coyotes. 

Just a full moon. 

A quiet morning. 

In comparison, today has been a non-event compared to yesterday's start to the day. 

The two deer I mentioned yesterday enjoyed more in their morning diet than a couple of leaves from a Virginia creeper next to the barn. 

I discovered after posting my blog that one of them had eaten my pumpkin from the garden on the west side of the barn. 

It was the one most visible and the one that I observed each day to see how much it had grown after popping from its blossom. 

Yesterday's decapitation ended its lifetime growth.  

I wondered if the deer had chewed it or if it had swallowed the baby pumpkin whole,  On my Tuesday morning monitoring, it was about twice the size of a boulder from a marbles game.  

The discovery of the missing pumpkin led to a session of adding netting to the flimsy twine fence that generally takes away temptation from the critters. 

At least, it has been effective until edibles started showing up among the leaves. 

Potato stems have also been snipped off.  

It truly amazes me how deer can differentiate between weeds and actual veggies. 

They hate weeds as badly as humans do, so they leave them intact. 

Anyway, on today's morning reconnaissance mission, I've seen that the 4-legged thieves had not yet tried to penetrate the netting and steal anything today. 

The day is young, though, and my fingers will remain crossed from this day forth that the rest of my little pumpkins can have a chance for a full life cycle, which includes a pie, of course. 

I just hope these daily incidents with the garden enemies don't start looking like the tit for tat of the Iran War which has ended 38 times. 





A link to thoughts well worth the read . . . 

"Before I met a single soul, the landscape had already told me why a person might drive across an entire continent to live here and never explain themselves to anyone again."



I really like the sentence above.  It can be true of anyone who knows or discovers this place we call home.

Seldom a need for explanation, thanks to the mountains, the waters and, for the most part, those who make up the community. 








One would think this might be a photo from out of the past. 

Well, it WAS yesterday, so it's the past. 

Still, I found it to be a serene and nostalgic scene. 

Mom who brought the three anglers in the front to McArthur Lake, chose to sit on the dock and relax while the kids enjoyed their summer recreation.

She told me that she lives near the airport north of Bonners Ferry.  

When I asked how things had turned out from the Turner Hill fire, where families had to evacuate several days ago, she told me that it was somewhat miraculous to hear from three different evacuees that they had sustained no major damage to their respective properties. 

This is truly a testament to the professionals who spearheaded and carried out fire-fighting efforts in what could have been a major disaster. 













We happen to know Jyl Wheaton-Abraham and her hubby Toby, so it was neat to see this display at McArthur Lake yesterday.
 







Thursday Throwbacks:  Past images of people, places and events from my photo collection. Hope you enjoy the photo and the music. 





I have no idea about the origins from this photo, but it certainly brought back memories of the early days of teaching English and advising the Monticola yearbook and the Ponderettes Drill Team at Sandpoint High School. 

I can make out the bulletin board in my classroom, and, of course, it makes me wonder if everything I posted there in those days would be acceptable in these days of overzealous scrutiny. 

Those were good times, and I was fortunate to work with a lot of students who have remained lifelong friends. 





























No comments: