The berries are forming on the bushes around the yard, and when the deer finish up on garden goodies, the berries will provide them some fall and winter food.
Speaking of fall, when the weather people said a "cold front," they weren't kidding.
I bundled up to go outside on both trips this morning. It was the first "cold" we've experienced in at least a couple of weeks.
Interestingly enough, I can't remember a summer where I've worn a coat so often in the mornings.
We've been fortunate with the heat in that, for the most part, it has cooled off at night.
From what I see on my phone, we'll be back to warmer weather, starting tomorrow.
So, it's nice to have this break from the heat.
They came in an old hearse, which they parked out of sight just off from Selle Road.
Otherwise, I would have taken a photo.
They're from Newport, and, like me, they turned around soon after seeing the Selle roadside bake sale, organized by Avery and her mom and dad.
Dad wasn't there at the time because he was in the house baking more goodies for Avery's table.
Avery ran the sale, while Mom ran inside to replenish the inventory.
There were scones, fruit-filled coffee cake and big pies and little pies.
The hearse couple knew right away what they wanted and soon walked away with a bagful of fresh baked goods.
I picked out two mini pecan pies after telling them my hubby was from pecan country in Louisiana and that he loves pecan pie like I do.
Sadly my gut doesn't like it as much as I, but I figured I may get away with feeding off the huckleberry coffee cake with a light sugar coating on top.
Avery, who's going into the eighth grade, is quite the entrepreneur and so fortunate to have a mom and dad who support her roadside enterprises.
I've seen her at the spot in front of her home off and on for past couple of years. She's always pleasant poised and sure to go far in life.
And, with a dad who's worked as a chef, she's getting some good instruction on how to bake goodies that make the taster want to go back for more.
Keep up the good work, Avery. Always nice to see you.
Avery and her mom Angie
Lots of apples on the old-style tree this year. Hope they grow bigger.
Whatever the case, we'll have lots of apple jelly.
Lefty has collected his annual flock of birds, and more often than not, besides escorting him as he eats, a few will jump aboard and go for a ride.
This is the Lovestead plum.
That's it.
No plum jelly this year unless I want to settle for maybe one tablespoon.
We have five plum trees and ONE plum.
The blossoms came before the bees, so we had pretty trees but no results, 'cept this one plum.
Maybe next year the timing will be right.
For now, we'll just call this the One Plum Lovestead.
Smoky scenes dominate the landscape and remind us of the catastrophic fires in the Spokane area over the weekend.
The following link gives you a few ideas of how you can help the thousands in need around the Spokane area after being evacuated from their homes with many losing everything in the weekend fires.
Having lost our home in a fire more than 40 years ago, I know firsthand how the good will of others is helpful and vital in putting lives back together.
Losing everything is overwhelming, exhausting and depressing, but the care, support and generosity of others goes farther than one can imagine to lift spirits and inspire us to keep moving forward on a tough road ahead.
The flowers are doing their best to hang in there and look presentable during these days of hot, dry weather, and, as always, that effort is appreciated.
The eye candy does wonderful for our souls.
Happy Monday.






















No comments:
Post a Comment