Friday, October 02, 2026

Ireland 2026; Day Eight

 



A long day in the car translated into a shortage of highlights from yesterday, except that we once again enjoyed a stop in Adare, known for its woolens, and another fishing-oriented town near Galway, where Bill visited the rod and reel shop, and eventually arrived in Clifden, a town in Connemare, late in the afternoon.

Since it wasn’t quite time to check in at Sharamore House, we spent some time in town.

While I walked over to say "hi" to my butcher friends at Des Moran Family Butchers, Bill headed to the bookstore across the street.

It was a busy time at the butchers, so I did not stay long and went to join Bill at the book store. 

It’s a tiny place and very popular, so maneuvering amidst the displays and the people was difficult.  I chose to stand outside, and that’s when I saw a book in the display window that I would soon purchase.

It was among the best sellers and placed in a spot hard to reach.  The clerk, however, managed to retrieve it, noting that she had sold one copy in the morning and that this was the only one left.

It’s called The Serviceberry:  An Economy of Gifts and Abundance.  I have seen or heard a review of the book, and since our serviceberry bush next to the house has provided a busy scene with all the visiting birds this year,  I just had to have a copy.

I’ve read several pages and have, at least two or three times during that reading, have shared nuggets with Bill.  

It’s the kind of book where virtually every sentence is loaded with valuable thoughts to ponder---especially in these crazy times.

Can’t wait to have some time to read it to the end, which won’t take long.  It’s a relatively tiny book with an abundance of wise observations, all connected with serviceberries, of course.

After a brief visit with Sue and John, the owners of Sharamore House B and B just outside of Clifden, Sue led us to the room where “the kids” always stay.  

We settled in briefly and then drove to town for dinner at Ravi’s where live Irish music would begin at 7:30.

The place was filling up quickly when we arrived, and soon we were conversing with a Dutch couple, Bart and Liz, who live in Switzerland.

Soon after we became acquainted,  I saw Pascel walk in.  We’d met him at the Sharamore House.  He’s a neuro scientist and a farm boy from Cornwall, England, now living in Switzerland.

So, amidst the amazing banjo playing and singing and dancing (the place has a jolly, elderly gentleman who’s a fixture and who encourages dancing and clapping and having a good time), Pascel joined our group, and we tried to blend interesting conversation with lively music.

Oh yeah, dinner was good too. Bill had fish and chips, and the staff fixed me what seems to be a safe plate---chicken breast, mashed potatoes and veggies with some fresh brown bread.

Once again, it was a great evening, and we’re looking forward to visiting Ravi’s again while we’re here.

Today we leave early and drive to the ferry which will take us to Inis Mor for the day.  We’re excited because we’ll get to see some more friends who have become like family to us, so much so that our dog Bridie is named after the manager of The Bar.

Still, on a relative high here in our happy place and looking forward to keeping that state of mind going for the next several days.

Happy Friday.








Pascal and Bart

Below:  Liz and Bill




This annual competition occurs all over Ireland, and I would venture to say that it has a big impact on the colorful tidiness we see throughout the country. 

Seems like it would be a good thing to incorporate into our American culture. 





























No comments: