Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Frosty: It's Been a Very Good Year




It's after Christmas, I know, but it's not after snow.  Now that I've expended my poetic energy this morning, I'll tell you a story about the snowman in the holiday scene above which begins with a beautiful, sleek, mostly black Great Dane.  

The big dog named Charles was causing a few traffic jams at North 40 yesterday but hardly any aisle rage at the popular farm store that has almost everything except size 16 doggie collars--size 14 and size 18, no 16s.  Liam's neck has outgrown the 14 but the 18 is way too big. I'll have to keep looking.

Anyway, most customers at the store appeared quite happy to stop their shopping and spend time meeting, petting and learning about Charles.  When it was my turn to admire Charles up close and personal, I was surprised to see that I actually knew his owners.  

Turns out Charles is fulfilling a lifelong dream for Jennifer Bair Wood.  

She always wanted a Great Dane, so Charles has been part of her family for the past year. She told me that the big sweet dog still has some growing to do.  She also told me she may some day bring Charles on a walk past my house.

That news led to the realization that Jennifer does live pretty close to our neighborhood, over on the connector road between West Shingle Mill and East Shingle Mill roads.  

Then, I learned that it was their home where I almost stopped last week to take some pictures of their colorful and fun holiday yard display.

The lights will stay on, and the display will remain until Jan. 6 aka the Feast of Epiphany, Jennifer told me. 

So, on my way home from town, I made a point to drive down the Shingle Mill roads with their east-west connector and snap a few photos with my new point-and-shoot pocket camera.

Of course, along the way, the wintry wooden fence and the loaded-down bird house and the snow-laden trees caused a few stops for photos.  

And, eventually I saw Frosty and Santa and the reindeer, providing an upbeat, whimsical look to Jennifer's home.  Santas, Frosty's and reindeer---store bought and real---have been enjoying this year more than ever, especially along Jennifer's road.  

In fact, I've seen more homemade Frosty's in yards around the neighborhood in the past few weeks than all them put together over the past ten years.  

The snow men have been living longer and standing prouder than ever.  Sorta like this year's gardens and flowers. 

The Shingle Mill Road network, where Jennifer's display probably causes happy traffic jams like her dog Charles did at North 40,  is one of my favorite country driving routes out here in Selle---always some pretty scenes any time of the year. 

So, thank you, Charles, the handsome Great Dane, for leading me past your place before the decorations come down.  Nice display. 

In other dog notes, Liam, the handsome Border Collie pup who needs a size-16 collar,  took on a few firsts in his life yesterday.  

Twice he did the Border Collie pose with one leg up and an intense stare.  Of course, the object of his attention was his buddy Foster whose sheer speed at darting and racing can give any herder a good challenge.    

I did see definite signs of herding while holding on to Liam's leash on a couple of trips down the lane.  

Later, I realized that the little guy has been studying Kiwi at work.  

Most of her winter self-imposed employment involves standing on snowbanks keeping a good watch on Lily and Lefty and issuing disciplinary barks whenever they do what horses aren't supposed to do while being watched by Border Collies.  They've done it for years, and I still haven't figured out the transgression.

Well, one of the many times I took Liam out of the house, he shot a look directly at Lily, began barking and raced over to stand beside Kiwi. 

It won't be long that all the Border Collie attributes will make their appearance.  Good thing I'm not watering gardens in the middle of the winter.  Border Collies love hoses. 

Anyway, the snow was still falling, creating millions of tiny sparkles with its new coating. At least it has eased up on the depth; for that we tired souls are very happy. 

The best part is that it remains beautiful and nostalgic and the Frosty's of the world will happily live to see another day.  

Happy Tuesday. 







No comments: