Monday, December 28, 2015

Happy Trails




Breaking a fresh trail through deep, powdery snow without snow pants gets a little wet on the pant legs, and I did have to back up to the wood stove to warm up after returning to the house.  

Nonetheless,  my snow-shoeing venture yesterday morning to the far woods was a pleasant and exhilarating experience. 


Just being there alone on foot after a rigorous trip through the really deep snow in the hay field was satisfying in itself.  


I hadn't gone to that part of the woods by myself since Kea's death. 


Deep snow, though, can provide a sense of safety, especially when there's a big protective stick leaning against a tree in that area. 


So, I followed a brief pattern of breaking trail and then stopping occasionally to listen to the winter silence and to take in all the magical, undisturbed snowy forest views around me.  


A portion of where I tromped through the woods yesterday we like to call the Black Forest. The trees are relatively thin with generally dark bark. A tidy, organized arrangement gives the plot a look all its own.  


Yesterday's windblown snow cover on the north side of each tree added an awesome touch to the viewing delight. 


It turned out to be a brief snow shoeing trip because yesterday was also the day Annie would be leaving to go back to Seattle.  So, I sped up my pace while walking back to the house. 


Still, I had to stop at a few spots along the way, simply to capture unique, artistic and temporary works of nature which we haven't observed for the past couple of winters.


Mother Nature has truly outdone herself lately, producing some phenomenal and interesting outdoor images. 


Soon after my trip to the woods, Annie and I set off on another route to Spokane Airport. 


She was concerned about whether the uniquely crafted walking stick from County Kerry, Ireland, which I gave her for Christmas would fit in the overhead bin on her Alaska flight, so she asked me to hang around with her for a few minutes. 


BTW, if you're going to Spokane Airport and parking in the metered section, be ready for a recent change where yesterday my change did not work.  


No meters, just spaces and a money machine which will confuse the heck out of you.  


Finally after I gave up, Annie gave it a try and ended up using a credit card to pay the two bucks for parking.  


While doing so, a significant line formed behind her.  I don't know what was wrong with the meters, but they were much more efficient that what I saw yesterday. 


Anyway, as we walked into the terminal, it turned out iffy what would happen to the walking stick in transit, so I ended up bringing it home.  Later, Annie told me it would have fit in the overhead bins, so she'll get it next time she comes home. 


Next on the agenda was a Seahawks win. Oops! The radio broadcast on the way home wasn't sounding too good, and the story got worse after my arrival back at the Lovestead as Seattle lost. 


After the game, I took Foster into the bathroom beauty parlor for a major hair trim.  He is the coolest dog because he stands completely still on the bathroom counter, only moving when I need to turn him around to work on another part of his body.


We had an audience.  Mr. Liam came in to watch, occasionally barking approval as I snipped fuzzy hair from Foster's legs, ears and behind.


Seems Foster felt like a new man, and he's been a lot happier since his posting on the blog yesterday morning.


This morning, I've also included a "Happy Trails" photo of sorts, featuring a visit on Saturday with Karren Williams and Susie Syth Keeley.  Both were members of the Ponderettes Drill team while going through high school, and they sat in my sophomore English class.


If ever there were a match for Annie and her world travels----maybe even one who can outdo her---that would be Karren. 


High energy and a zest for life adventure hardly capture the life she leads as a career scientist in the pharmaceutical world and as a very active soul who may have compiled the world's longest bucket list. 

Susie, meanwhile, has her own practice as a social worker, and, of course, she earned some extra credit from her former teacher upon announcing that she once raised Border Collies-----but couldn't handle parting with the puppies when they were sold. 


Twas a nice surprise to see her walk through the door.  The three of us hadn't seen one another for nearly 40 years, but I can safely say there was absolutely no need to warm up after all those years. 

The house was alive with enthusiastic yak yak and the exchange of quick snippets about individual lives and people we all know in common.


Annie and Karren (who also likes to geocache) had been Facebook friends for the past four or five years but had never met personally.  


So, the meeting was documented (Karren's photo art), along with dogs.  It was a great reunion and once more a precious gift that comes along with a career in teaching. 


So, yes, the trails have been pretty happy around this house over the past several days, and today will be relatively quiet, 'cept for maybe a couple of doggie encounters in the living room between Foster and Liam. 


Happy Monday. 


























No comments: