Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Gifts with Straps Sometimes Don't Give




Once these new snowshoes are properly adjusted, I may just go climb Mt. Everest. 

Mountain Safety Research in Seattle wants its customers to have safe experiences on their adventures, so I'm guessing these are among the best snowshoes an old lady could wear, if she could just keep them on!






It can be one of the best days of the year, that day after Christmas.  As for 2017, it was a pretty good day for me---well, sort of. 

I did spend a fair amount of time grousing, moaning----okay cussing---while dogs gathered around and breathed warm dog breath into my face.  


You see my face, at the time, was down at the dogs' level as the rest of my bent-over body screamed for relief.

Occasionally my face and head listened, moving out of that bent-over position and standing up to take a real breath and a mind break. 


Then, I would bend my body, loaded down with all those layers of clothing, toward the ground once again, employing my excruciatingly-sore winter-cracked fingers to push the damn strap into the open binder slot on my new top-of-the-line snowshoes. 


Miraculously, one time, the fingers actually completed their task, as the snowshoes both stayed on when I raised each respective foot.  


After apologizing profusely to the dogs for yelling at them to get out of my face all those times, I grabbed a metal pole for support and took off snowshoeing, breaking trails through deep, clean snow around the yard.

I even stood under the Scotch pine tree and snapped the photo above to send to Bill at work and Annie at Schweitzer.  You see Bill has his iphone up and running, and he's figured out texting, so I received a response within minutes, stating, "Have fun in the snow." 

Bill was probably sitting at his desk more than pleased that those snowshoes were gonna work out just fine for Marianne.  

They did, until I headed toward the south woods with Liam (he's a snowshoeing buddy extraordinaire).  While Liam trotted off to a spot under the trees, I took a right turn toward the dog run.  

Just after my turn off from the packed trail, I experienced the distinct sensation that the snow was a lot deeper.  

Oh well, I thought, I'll pack it down after a couple of passes.  A few steps later, I looked down to see my right snowshoe coming off and knew immediately frustration lommed ahead. 

As I bent down in an attempt to re-attach the binding strap, I noticed another problem:  no snowshoe on the left foot. 

No wonder the snow depth increased almost instantly!

Knowing this situation would be too challenging to master out in deep snow, I simply picked up both snowshoes, called for Liam and headed back to the house, chuckling to myself about how dense I must be to have not known my snowshoe fell off. 

It was time for a break anyway, so I went inside, had my chunk of cheese and sat back on the love seat for a while reading Christmas cards.  

It's a practice I've taken on over the past few years, since the busYness of Christmas seldom allows time to simply enjoy what people have to say.  

Then, it was time to go outside and tackle those snowshoe bindings again.  This time, the bindings were definitely exhibiting an attitude change, refusing to even come close to their respective slots. 

I even tried putting the snowshoes on opposite feet.  That didn't work.  

By this moment I was remembering a famous saying of my dad's, "Sawed it off twice and it's still too short."  At that moment, it seemed that my straps were determined to never enter that slot again. 

Also, by this time, dogs had once again gathered round for upclose and personal inspection duty.  

As my dad used to say, the "air was blue," with nasty utterings coming from Marianne.  

Soon dogs decided to stand back.

After about 15 minutes of total failure with one snowshoe, I gave up, figuring maybe I could get those Red Feathers I've used for years and actually enjoy some snowshoeing.  

First, however, I went to the phone and called Bill.   In addition to text messages, he has figured out how to answer his i-phone with no problems.  

Trying not to sound nearly as frustrated as I really was, I calmly asked, "Are those snowshoes supposed to fit a certain sized boot?"

For anyone who does not know me, I have big feet, so, of course, my boots are big. 

Bill said no.

So, I told him of my exasperating moments and of the sweet success during those few minutes of actually enjoying the new snowshoes. 

That's when Bill apologetically informed me that he had forgotten to mention that the straps could be adjusted and that the straps were currently adjusted for smaller boots.   

Apparently, this issue had been discussed at the store, and apparently, Bill and the clerk worked in unison to figure out just how to adjust those straps for bigger feet.

It's not the easiest task but once accomplished, all should work well. 

"Why don't you use those Red Feathers until I get home, and I'll adjust the new bindings?" Bill suggested.  I told him that idea had already crossed my mind, and so I did.

The Red Feathers with their nylon straps came on easily and stayed on as Liam and I beat down more trails around the yard and the woods.  They also reminded me how much I love snowshoeing when the snow is good. 

Later, in the afternoon, I went over to see CB.  While there, I saw a car pull up.  It was my friend Nancy (also owner of a new baby) and her sister Becky who is here visiting from Upstate New York.  

Becky has retired from the Forest Service, and I had heard that she had been doing her share of snowshoeing around Nancy's territory during her visit.  So, I told of my snowshoe dilemma.

Before I had even finished the saga, Becky said, "You know it's easier if you fit the snowshoes to the boots inside where it's warm and you don't have to bend over." 

After this instant enlightenment, I simply informed my new friend that I tend to be a "DUH!" person and that I probably would follow her advice in the future. 

They went on their way, and later I went to my sisters' house and soon repeated the snowshoe saga, to which my sister Laurie, who seldom snowshoes said, "If you'd bring them inside and fit them to your boot . . . ." 

Double DUH!

Anyway, I did get to snowshoe yesterday and Bill will have my snowshoes adjusted for today when we're hoping to beat down some snow in the Bonners Ferry areas.

I'm just betting that when those new MSR's learn to stay on my boot, I might not take on Mt. Everest but will surely be in snowshoeing heaven. 

Happy Wednesday. 


No comments: