Friday, June 21, 2019

Summer???







So, the calendar says it's summer.

And, those four layers felt pretty good this morning cuz it's cold and gray and a bit wet. 

Nobody's complaining cuz we've had plenty of summer/July previews already this year. 

It's okay for the cool down and for the rain because we need both. 

Yesterday I was planning to mow the entire lawn and clean up the mess made by some wild winds the day before.

Storm clouds came, though, so I mowed just a couple of sections before getting in out of the rain. 

Later, I took a drive up into the Gold Creek-Rapid Lightning country and then enjoyed being lazy watching the NBA draft.

Have never ever watched the NBA draft before, but like every ZAGS Rui and Brandon fan, it was fun to see those young men realize their dreams. 

Heck, I might even get into watching NBA basketball with so many ZAGS playing in the big leagues now. 

Must be something good going on at Gonzaga.

Like so many locals, I was also happy to see a former student realize his dream.  

Pretty darned neat to see a guy I first met at a 4-H picnic more than 40 years ago---with spaghetti dripping down the sides of his cheeks---get the nod as Lake Pend Oreille District 84 school superintendent.

Since that day when I was taking pictures for a special Bonner County Fair newspaper, I've taught Tom as an English student, have taught with him and have considered him a good friend.  

I am worried a bit, however, about Tom Albertson taking on this monumental duty, cuz it's gonna require a lot more of his time.

Tom is also a member of the Albertson ranching family up there in Gold Creek and Rapid Lightning. 

I know for a fact that their cows get out A LOT, and if Tom is stuck in some school-related meeting when that happens, they'll be missing one ranch hand to go chase them down. 

I'm sure they'll work it out, especially if Bill Hawkins is available with his mule. 

I'm also sure Tom is going to rise to the occasion in taking on the challenges of our school district. 

Congratulations to Tom and to Brandon and to Rui:  big day for all three. 

Busy day ahead, but at least, it looks like I won't have to water. 

Happy Friday. 










Miss Sunny is expanding her horizons around the Lovestead.

This morning that sense of feline adventure was pretty dramatic.  I came back from leading CB to pasture to find Sunny checking out the big water tank.

Acting a bit guilty, she quickly turned around and made her way through the fence.

We talked for a while, and then she headed to the barn.

Just after I turned around to walk out to get the paper, my sister called.  So, I was talking to her clear out to the paperbox.

With paper in hand, I turned around to see Miss Sunny standing at the end of the driveway.

I'd hope she will learn, like the Border Collies that the road is "no cat's land."

Anyway, she's certainly making herself at home, and she's definitely a character.  Plus, she must be pretty efficient with the mice.

Haven't seen one in the barn since she came, not even body parts!

Good cat!


This photo is for the daisy lovers, including me.

I snapped the image this morning out in Pasture No. 1.

Since we're not harvesting our hay this year, the horses have spent the majority of their grazing time in Pasture No. 2 and the hay field.

That has allowed quite a stand of Birdsfoot Trefoil, a legume like alfalfa, to grow in Pasture No. 1.

It's quite stunning to look out at the field where at least half is a bright yellow. 

And, of course, the daisies, which horses don't eat, add a nice artistic touch to the scene. 

~~~~~~~

Finally, my friend Connie from beautiful Hope published a blog post this week.  

Check it out and enjoy. 

No comments: